Director of Gift Planning
Background: The UMKC Foundation was established in 2009 as a result of caring, vested donors who had the desire to build and expand on the University of Missouri Kansas City’s success. The pillars of the Foundation are laid upon solid fundraising success and a staff that is professional, collaborative, and collegial. Building on that success, we are now planning to launch the University’s next major comprehensive campaign and are expanding the development team to meet our exciting and ambitious aspirations.
Description: The Director of Gift Planning leads the fundraising activities as related to the planning, review, assessment, and coordination of planned giving initiatives at UMKC. The primary goal of the position is to market, solicit and steward current planned and deferred gifts (bequests, charitable gift annuities, trusts, real estate, appreciated securities, etc.). This position works with several legal instruments associated with gift planning and requires a thorough understanding of related laws or a law degree. These gift vehicles will provide donors the opportunity to leave a legacy to UMKC and to further its overall mission.
Organizational Relationships: The Director of Gift Planning reports to the Executive Director of Development/Campaign Management.
Essential Duties: The Director of Gift Planning leads and directs the program to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward planned and deferred gift prospects. The position will manage a portfolio of 100-125 prospects. The position will develop the overall marketing and branding strategy for the planned giving program, assist in the development of collateral materials including website content development with regular updates. This position will develop a robust stewardship plan that includes activities for members of the Heritage Society the UMKC society to honor those who have recognized UMKC through their planned gifts. This position will also collaborate with the UMKCF Donor Relations and Stewardship unit to create, plan, coordinate and orchestrate the Heritage Society event to honor and thank planned giving donors. Work with major gift officers to ensure that each school or college has the necessary, appropriate, and customizable planned giving marketing materials required. The Director of Gift Planning will provide training to development staff to ensure their confidence in discussing and securing planned gifts. This position will work to ensure all estates are settled in a professional, timely and efficient manner and funds are used to fulfill the donor’s specific philanthropic intent.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum five (5) years of experience with successful major gift solicitation
- Experience in gift planning and a variety of gift planning tools
- Five (5) years of professional experience in a collegiate environment
- Demonstrated exceptional writing skills, strong oral communication skills, experience in presenting, and ability to influence others
- Demonstrably strong work ethic and entrepreneurial mentality.
- High-level of integrity, focus and commitment to achieve ambitious goals
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software tools
- Experience building and executing campaigns as well as knowledge of higher education and familiarity with the characteristics of a comprehensive university
- Familiarity with the “moves management” approach to major gift fundraising
- Incumbent must exercise substantial independence of administrative authority and discretion in areas such as program planning, design, implementation
- Must have a proven record of success
- Ability and willingness to travel, sometimes extensively
- A valid U.S. driver’s license is required
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Juris doctorate degree
- Deep understanding of laws as related to gift planning
- Five (5) years of experience in planned giving
- Seven (7) years of professional experience in a collegiate environment
- Advanced degree and/or professional designation (CFRE)
- Capital campaign experience in higher education is highly desirable
- Serious attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills as there will be strong interactions with both internal and external constituents
- The ability to think critically and strategically
- A proven ability to build strong relationships
UMKC: The University of Missouri Kansas City is located in the heart of Kansas City, one mile from the famed KC Plaza District. Kansas City is home to the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts, KC Chiefs, KC Royals, Sporting KC, and is home to world renowned BBQ. Rich in diversity, culture, and sports, UMKC is a rich traditional university with a host of professional schools in a robust urban setting.
About the UMKC Foundation: The UMKC Foundation
is a separate but affiliated enterprise that is devoted to raising
funds for the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and for
exercising fiduciary responsibility over endowments and other
philanthropic investments made to UMKC.
If you are interested in helping grow the culture of philanthropy that supports UMKC, please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.