Senior Development Officer
For 43 years, Verland has been a regional leader in providing services to people who have serious intellectual disability, often exacerbated by physical disabilities. Serving more than 230 individuals in four western Pennsylvania counties, Verland provides a wide range of services including residence; nursing care; physical, occupational, aquatic, and equestrian therapies; communication training; dietary services; and socialization/activities programming.
- A 10-home care facility, Adult Training Facility (ATF), and administrative center on its main campus in Ohio Township, at the northern corner of Sewickley.
- 23 Community Living Arrangement (CLA) homes throughout Allegheny County, with several located in Beaver, Fayette, and Mercer counties.
- Three community-based ATFs, an eight-person facility in Natrona Heights, titled the Intermediate Care Facility/Other Related Conditions (ORC) that serves individuals whose disabilities are solely physical.
Verland's annual operating budget exceeds $35,000,000.. Requirements:
Verland is seeking a highly qualified, experienced development officer to lead the organization's overall development efforts. This individual will oversee a development team that services all of Verland's locations and operations. The position will be based in the Ohio Township administrative center, near the Mount Nebo exit of I-79. The Senior Development Officer will report to President and CEO and will serve as a member of the External Affairs Committee.
References will not be contacted until later in the process. For more information on Verland, visit our website at www.verland.org
Position Summary The Senior Development Officer is responsible for leading the strategy, oversight, and growth of fundraising efforts throughout the entire Verland system and providing growth and leadership to development team members. This is a full-time position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Focus frontline fundraising efforts on major giving, planned gifts, foundation grants, and capital campaigns within the Verland family of facilities to be accomplished through defined goals for substantive contacts, personal visits, presentations, requests made, and funds secured.
- Maintain and build on Verland's excellent relationships with foundations in the Greater Pittsburgh philanthropic community.
- Lead, mentor, and coach a small development team to meet annual goals and objectives, and to undertake new initiatives as appropriate.
- Plan and facilitate the several corporate and community Days of Service at which corporate volunteers and members of local Rotary Clubs participate in maintenance and improvement projects on the Sewickley Campus.
- Serve as strategic leader and project manager of Verland's three annual special events – The John Siciliano Memorial Golf Tournament in June, the Verland Open golf event in August, and the Shoot for Our Stars Sporting Clays outing in October; leading the committees and aligning their efforts as necessary to produce a successful, profitable event.
- Maintain working communications and collaborative efforts with Verland administrators and department heads, and Finance Department.
- Attend the meetings of and report to the Verland Board of Directors as requested; attend all External Affairs Committee meetings.
- Collaborate with management staff on projects that build and strengthen the Verland brand.
- Commit to high ethical standards and comply with the Code of Conduct, state and federal regulations, accreditation standards, and Verland policies and procedure.
- Maintain confidentiality of resident, donor, and employee records and information.
- Recognize the duty to report compliance concerns, significant legal risk questions, fraud, abuse, and suspected or actual misconduct to a supervisor/manager or to the Compliance Officer.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Understanding of the challenges facing people with disabilities and a commitment to help to improve their lives and circumstances
- Extensive knowledge of the workings of the nonprofit sector
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, or Marketing
- At least five years of progressively successful nonprofit fundraising experience
- Certified Fund Raising Executive status or intent to pursue such status
- Familiarity with the philanthropic community in southwestern Pennsylvania would be an asset.Excellent organization skills
- Strong team leader/team building skills
- Maturity and professionalism in demeanor, appearance, communication, and judgment
- Experience in appropriate development and office software
VERLAND HAS EXCELLENT BENEFITS!
- Medical, Dental and Vision plans - effective in 30 days
- 24 hour Nurse hotline
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Assistance Plan
- HSA with company contribution
- Employee Referral Bonus program
- Career Development opportunities
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Employee of the Month Awards