Vice President for Advancement
Grambling State University
Vice President for Advancement
About Grambling State University:
Grambling State University is a comprehensive, historically-black, public institution Where Everybody Is Somebody. A place where people not only respect and encourage each other, and value excellent performance to make a difference on campus, but to ultimately make a difference in the world. Founded and organized in 1896 by the North Louisiana Colored Agriculture Relief Association, a group comprised of African-American farmers who wanted to organize and operate a school for African Americans in their region of the state, the now, Grambling State University opened its doors in November of 1901 as the Colored Industrial and Agricultural School.
Over the years, Grambling State University has kept its founding principle of education opportunity at the forefront of all that they have accomplished and aspire to do. With a longstanding commitment to the education of minorities in American society and the advancement of study and preservation of African American history, art, and culture, Grambling State University has continued to serve as pivotal cornerstone in preparing its graduates to compete and succeed in careers related to its programs of study, to contribute to the advancement of knowledge, and to lead productive lives as informed citizens in a democratic society
Steeped in history, with a longstanding tradition of excellence, Grambling State University is a community of learners who strive for excellence in their pursuit of knowledge and who seek to contribute to their respective major academic disciplines. Offering more than forty degree and certificate programs through the College of Arts and Science, the College of Business, the College of Educational and Graduate Studies and the College of Professional Studies and a total student enrollment of 5,000+, Grambling State University is one of the country’s top producers of African American graduates and the top producer of Computer Information Science grads in Louisiana.
The University provides its students a living and learning environment which nurtures their development for leadership in academics, athletics, campus governance, and in their future pursuits, with an expectation that all persons who matriculate and who are employed at Grambling will reflect through their study and work that the University is indeed a place where all persons are valued.
Grambling is also home to the internationally-renowned Tiger Marching Band and the legendary college football coach Eddie Robinson, Sr., whose tenure is memorialized in a campus museum, funded and operated by the state of Louisiana.
Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President for Advancement is required to design and implement comprehensive institutional advancement programs that will significantly increase constituent involvement and fund raising outcomes. The Vice President has oversight of the day-to-day operations of the Grambling University Foundation, an independent university funding organization, and will provide advice, counsel and leadership to the Grambling University Foundation and Board of Directors. The position leads and develops the University’s external and internal communications, media relations, social media, and brand vision. The Vice President has oversight of Alumni Affairs and is expected to lead and promote alumni engagement and impact by participating in and attending key alumni engagement activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advance the mission, vision, and short and long-term goals of the University in concert with the University President and senior administrative colleagues.
- Work closely with the President in all phases of his advancement and campaign leadership activities.
- Serve as a member of the University Leadership Team and maintain close working relationships with members of the state legislature and key alumni/parents/friends.
- Maintain a dynamic portfolio of high net worth individuals and secure major, capital, and planned gifts, as well as advanced annual gifts and endowment support.
- Participate in strategic discussions and develop programs to strengthen the financial resources of the University.
- Create and execute fund raising plans that utilize best practices in annual, major, and planned gift programs to meet fundraising goals.
- Provide oversight of the growth and management of foundation financial assets.
- Ensure dynamic processes in all phases of donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Prepare for the upcoming campaign through comprehensive and effective campaign planning and execution.
- Hire, train, inspire and guide direct reports and the entire advancement team toward accountable, goal-oriented outcomes.
- Develop annual plans and budgets for Alumni and Parent Relations, Annual Fund, Gift Planning, Comprehensive Campaigns, Major Gifts, Grants Development, Stewardship and Advancement Services.
- Engage University colleges, schools, programs, and enhance the culture of philanthropy. Maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, coaches, and campus departments whose cooperation is essential to effective outreach and fund raising.
- Serve as the staff liaison with the political community and other external stakeholders and friends of the university.
- Provide leadership to programs in the areas of alumni relations, and other key constituent relations.
- Devise and implement effective internal and external messaging and methods of advancement communication.
- Serve as an exemplary University advocate in the community, with local leaders, religious organizations, business and corporate partnerships, and other leaders, and build relationships that closely link the community with the University.
- Be active and involved in the advancement profession and keep Grambling visible among higher education peer institutions.
- Embody values of caring, compassion, justice, integrity, competence, and affirmation.
- Treat members of the campus community with fairness, dignity, and respect – seeking a spirit of unity and harmony to achieve a common mission.
- All other duties as assigned by the President.
Professional and Personal Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required; advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of eight years of experience as a senior level advancement professional in higher education is also preferred
- The successful candidate will display a record of leadership and accomplishment in advancement with a proven track record of fundraising success, especially with campaign planning/execution and in major gift solicitations.
- Experience in working with university advancement, foundations, marketing and communications, and/or alumni offices is preferred.
- Strong organizational, supervisory, and leadership capabilities are required.
- The successful candidate will document successful solicitation of numerous major and principal gifts and present a history of building advancement program and fund raising performance.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills are essential as is the ability to engage favorably with volunteers and donors.
- Possess a strong work ethic, competitive nature, personal integrity, emotional intelligence, a sense of humor, excellent communication skills, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Evidence of a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth is also required.
- The ability to work effectively with many diverse constituencies in a university environment should be evident.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting Grambling State University in the search for the Vice President for Advancement. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to August 31, 2021. Please submit applications through the Parker Executive Search website. For additional information, please contact:
Grant Higgison, Principal
DeLaina Jordan, Associate
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 ext. 118 || 770-804-1996 ext.: 119
Grambling State University (GSU) is committed to compliance with state and federal laws and regulations providing for equal employment opportunity, equal education opportunity and affirmative action without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other nonmerit factors. Grambling State University will make all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfer, suspension, termination, layoff, and all other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or other factors which cannot lawfully be the basis for an employment decision. The university makes reasonable accommodations to the religious observances and national origin practices of an employee or prospective employee. Grambling also makes reasonable accommodations to the physical and mental limitations of a disabled veteran or non-veteran employees or applicant unless such accommodations place undue hardship on the successful operation of the University.