DEPARTMENT: Development: Fundraising, Marketing
POSITION: Development Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: Serra Center is a non-profit agency in its 46th year of providing compassionate care for over 80 adults with developmental disabilities residing in community-based licensed Residential Care Homes, Independent and Supported Living Services in Fremont and the greater Bay Area. The Development Manager is responsible for the management and implementation of agency efforts to raise money in support of Serra Center and the individuals served. The qualified candidate must possess the ability to compassionately communicate the mission of Serra Center to friends, donors and the community at large. Developing relationships with donors, including assisting them in moving to major and planned gifts is essential.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three years or more of comprehensive development experience in a non-profit organization
- Proven experience with marketing and communications
- Demonstrated effectiveness in fundraising campaigns, individual donor solicitation and event planning
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compellingly articulate the agency’s mission with a clear commitment and belief in the work
- Ability to develop a case for support, including how gifts will provide impact and at what levels
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to establish and cultivate relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Strong self-motivation and ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Ability to travel and possess a valid CA driver’s license
- Strong computer skills, including experience with donor database management, Excel, social media
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- A sense of humor
- Presentation and public speaking
ACCOUNTABLE TO: This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer
EXAMPLE OF WORK DUTIES: (Any one position may not include all the following nor do all of the listed examples include all duties and responsibilities which may be required of the position).
- Work collaboratively with CEO and development committee to identify, design, manage and support a comprehensive development/marketing program encompassing: cultivation of donors from initial gift to sustaining donor, annual and major gifts, foundation and corporate giving.
- Initiate the planning and oversee the execution of donor events and other activities critical in engaging Serra Center’s constituencies.
- Develop and grow the organization’s gift prospect pool. Identify, engage and solicit individuals and families capable of making gifts at five, six and seven-figure levels.
- Serve as a member of Serra Center’s management team, contributing to the development and implementation of the organization’s operating and strategic plans, provide counsel and direction regarding fundraising activities and assist with special board projects.
- Leverage board and staff relationships to maximize development opportunities, including executing high-level solicitations.
- Establish and maintain agency outreach through a social media presence (website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram). Update website as needed.
- Establish community awareness of the agency’s mission, name recognition and branding.
- Work with board members, development chair, executive staff, event committee and other volunteers to assist with fundraising efforts.
- Develop, oversee and effectively utilize donor management software to accurately record prospect/donor activity and other relevant data in a timely fashion.
- Timely and accurate processing of gifts, acknowledgments and reporting on fundraising results.
- Creation and production of fundraising materials, including brochures, direct mail, press releases, advertisements, newsletters, proposals, annual reports, correspondence, collateral, etc.
- Keep CEO informed of legislative issues regarding development and fundraising.
- Perform other tasks, as assigned or appropriate to achieve Serra Center’s fundraising goals.