Senior Director, Spark Leadership (political fundraising)
About Leadership for Educational Equity
Leadership for Educational Equity (LEE) is a nonprofit leadership development organization inspiring and supporting a network of civic leaders to eradicate the injustice of educational inequity.
Through one-on-one coaching, fellowships, workshops, and resources, LEE works to develop and inspire its members individually and collectively, across all disciplines – as policy makers, advocates, elected leaders and community organizers. LEE membership is free and currently open to alumni of several partner organizations including Teach For America, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI), New Leaders, Latinos for Education, Urban Teachers, and Public Allies. LEE believes that when a diverse group of leaders, grounded in a commitment to equity, are in leadership roles, they will serve as a transformative force for and with students and communities.
LEE is a diverse team of passionate and talented individuals committed to making a difference. We are a high-growth, results-oriented organization that operates in an entrepreneurial environment deeply invested in continuous improvement. LEE is honored to have been selected as a LATINA Style 50 Award recipient and a When Work Works award recipient. We are also an Employer of National Service. If you would like to become part of our team and join the fight for educational equity, or if you would simply like to learn more, please visit educationalequity.org.
LEE’s Supporter Relations, Marketing & Communications team builds true believers in LEE to grow our resources and network, empowers members to take action across the leadership journey, and shares LEE’s insights, impact stories and community to build the category of civic leadership.
A successful Senior Director, Spark Leadership (political fundraising) will lead this team to build a program that generates consistent financial resources for the diverse LEE members running for office. (Note that while LEE seeks to raise funds for all members, we prioritize those who are under-represented in political leadership.) This work directly impacts our mission as it provides the necessary resources for members who may not have access to wealth. The Senior Director, Spark Leadership (political fundraising) is an entrepreneur excited to build a national network of political supporters to help elect a new generation of equity-minded diverse leaders.
This role will report to the Senior Vice President of Supporter Relations, Communications, and Marketing and work closely with the Executive Director and Elected Leadership team.
A successful candidate will:
- Develop a strong vision for this program, develop strategies to support that vision, and demonstrate the entrepreneurial spirit to implement the strategies
- Develop strategies to identify and target prospects, create partnerships with relevant organizations, and grow the network
- Create high-quality written and digital materials (e.g., website, email, social, pamphlets), events and experiences to create initial interest and maintain ongoing support from donors
- Build the brand of Spark among key constituents
- Secure commitments for initial support and cultivate continued support
- Work effectively across the organization (marketing, communications, elected leadership, regional impact)
The ideal candidate will be a values-oriented leader who approaches their work through a diversity, equity and inclusion lens and will collaborate across the organization for the success of their team and LEE.
Position Location: Flexible
Travel Requirements: Up to 50%. All travel is currently pending due to COVID-19.
Program Implementation and Execution (60%)
- Identify, develop, and cultivate new supporters via brand building, social media, events, and other approaches
- Steward current donors by reporting on impact (quantitative and qualitative), virtual and in-person experiences, and other engagement opportunities
- Partner with the Elected Leadership team to understand candidate funding needs, improve systems to connect candidates and support and identify portfolios that match candidates with donors
- Manage the web-based giving platform with the support of the Technology team
- Work effectively across the organization to ensure alignment of messages, needs, and outcomes
Strategy Development (20%)
- Envision and build a political fundraising operation that provides unique value to donors and support to a growing diverse set of political candidates. Please note that while LEE seeks to raise funds for all members, we prioritize those who are under-represented in political leadership
- Design for scale: dramatically grow the program’s reach while effectively matching political donors and candidates in need of support
- Innovate on new approaches to generate consistent financial resources for diverse LEE members running for office
Team Management (20%)
- Build and manage a team of two to strong outcomes
- Partner with the SVP to manage to overall goals and strategy
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate years of work experience
- 7+ years of relevant work experience such as program development, non-profit management, fundraising, marketing, and/or political campaign experience
- Demonstrated success creating compelling experiences for donors, members, or stakeholders
- Experience leading project teams and/or direct reports to outcomes
- Strong communication skills across multiple mediums and channels
- Entrepreneurial, collaborative orientation with the ability to anticipate and proactively mitigate risks
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion
- Deep passion for educational equity and belief in LEE’s mission and theory of change
- Political fundraising experience and/or political marketing experience
- Experience building or leading fundraising strategies that blend high quality online and offline communications/interactions
- Demonstrated success in small-dollar donor fundraising
- Experience successfully managing individuals or small teams
- Ability to effectively communicate, collaborate, and manage within a geographically dispersed team
Benefits and Pay
Pay for this position is competitive and based upon relevant experience and cost of labor for your location. Please use the following link to learn more about compensation for this position: https://educationalequity.org/applicant-resources#sec3. In addition, LEE offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental and vision coverage for spouses, families and domestic partners; employer-paid basic life and AD&D insurance and short and long-term disability insurance; a retirement package with employer match; family and parental leave benefits; generous paid time off and an organization-wide winter break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Leadership for Educational Equity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.
An affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.