Houseparents, Youth Residential Care Industry
3 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Explore a unique career for two—working with your spouse and impacting the lives of youth! Founded in 1909 by chocolate maker Milton Hershey and his wife Catherine, Milton Hershey School transforms the lives of lower-income children through a cost-free, high-quality education and structured home life. Married houseparent couples are the school’s heartbeat and are vital to students’ success. Couples reside with eight-12 students in their student homes and provide caring homes away from home. The school provides extensive resources to support houseparents so they can focus on their students. Learn more about MHS and houseparenting on our website and YouTube channel. Day in the Life of… Twelve consecutive days on, followed by three consecutive days off—Houseparents are on duty in the morning as they prepare students for the day. While the students are in school, houseparents have personal time before going back on duty when the students return from school. Afternoons and evenings are busy with after-school activities, chores, meals, homework, and more. Equally as important are the character development and life lessons houseparents instill in students. Weekends include recreational activities and required attendance at a non-denominational Sunday chapel service. Summertime provides more recreational opportunities. Benefits
- Competitive salary—$73,180 minimum starting salary per couple.
- Housing and utilities are included.
- Free meals while on duty.
- Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, prescription, and eye coverage, 403b savings program, three weeks of paid summer vacation, and more.
- Relocation assistance and paid training.
- The opportunity to live in the “Sweetest Place on Earth” and change the lives of others.
Qualifications:Houseparent couples must be/have:
- Age 27 or older.
- Legally married for three years or more.
- High school diplomas or GED.
- Valid driver’s licenses in good standing and both spouses willing to drive a nine-passenger van.
- Demonstrated success working with youth—houseparents ensure students’ well-being physically, socially, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Administrative skills including basic computer and budgeting skills.
- Houseparents may have up to two dependents residing with them.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all MHS staff are considered to be role models for students.
- Only fish and some breeds of dogs are permitted.