Community Outreach and Advocacy Associate
3 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Western Center offers a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic and community-minded individual to join the Western Center team. The position will participate in, support, and in some cases, lead advocacy and community outreach campaigns and initiatives. Applicants must have a commitment to the mission of Western Center, to the people we serve, and an understanding of how race and racism impacts poverty.
This position will include an emphasis on anti-hunger and food justice work while also incorporating work on other anti-poverty and safety net issues. Experience in the following areas is also a plus: housing and homelessness, affordable health care, economic justice, public benefits, access to debt- free justice, and consumer protections. It is essential that the candidate understand the intersection of these issues with racial justice.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position and reports to the Director of Communications. The position can be based in any Western Center Office (Los Angeles, Oakland, or Sacramento).
- Identify, initiate, and maintain communication with impacted community members organizing for anti- poverty, anti-hunger, and food justice initiatives; help elevate community voices, issues, and work.
- Working with the Director of Communications, help plan and facilitate virtual and in-person (once it’s safe) town halls, panels, and community forums.
- Working with the Director of Communications, strategize and help execute communications projects to amplify voices of community members at Western Center initiatives.
- Work with impact litigation teams on community outreach and outward communication efforts.
- Represent Western Center in various coalitions, at various meetings and in the legislature.
- Create and disseminate factsheets, social media and other web content, reports, analyses, and educational materials to the public and our partners.
- As needed, manage email and contact lists for outreach, as well as social media engagement.
- Represent Western Center to the media, as assigned by the Director of Communications.
- Engage in occasional air travel and frequent local travel (when it is safe to do so).
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission of Western Center.
- College degree OR equivalent relevant experience.
- At least two years of work or volunteer experience.
- Strong communication skills, including but not limited to social media fluency, very strong writing skills, basic video editing, basic graphic design, and media coordination.
- Experience using and maintaining email marketing and social media platforms.
- A deep understanding of and passion for economic and racial justice, and anti-poverty policy.
- Experience working with or coming from historically marginalized communities.
- Prior work at a community-based organization is a plus,
- Ability to think creatively, be strategic, and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships.
- Ability to develop and work in diverse coalitions in which participants may have multiple interests.
- Ability to work in a team setting and to implement team objectives independently.
- Ability to work under time pressure.
- Exemplary ethical standards.
- Bilingual or multilingual capacity a huge plus.
This is an hourly position for a 35-hour work week. Competitive salary range is the full-time, hourly equivalent of $50,050 to $65,000 annually depending on experience. We provide a generous benefits package, including leave policies, vacation, and December holiday office closure at full pay. We provide numerous opportunities and support to ensure our staff are able to grow and develop their professional skills.
Applications accepted until the position is filled. Applications preferred by July 29, 2021. Please email cover letter, resume, two writing samples (i.e. blog post, op-ed, etc), and list of references to the attention of the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to put your name and the position title in the subject line.
To promote social justice and achieve our mission, Western Center is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace. In your cover letter, please explain how you think your personal and/or professional experience or background has prepared you to contribute to a work environment with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Western Center strives for a diverse and inclusive workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Western Center strongly encourages applications from persons of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, persons with disabilities, and persons from other historically excluded groups whose background may contribute to effectively representing people with low incomes and historically excluded communities.
Apply for Community Outreach and Advocacy Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly