About Tides Foundation
Tides Foundation envisions a world of shared prosperity and
social justice founded on equality and human rights, healthy
individuals and communities, a sustainable environment, and quality
education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change,
working with innovative partners to solve society's toughest
For more information on Tides Foundation, please visit www.tides.org.
Tides Client Services (CS) Department interacts directly with
Tides clients to provide strategic and management services to drive
high impact, effective philanthropy and to scale promising social
ventures. The Special Initiatives Director will be the primary
leader for two areas of Tides’ core offering – social impact
strategy consulting services, and multi-stakeholder collaborative
initiative design, development, and implementation. These services
are rooted in trust-based and participatory practices and delivered
to clients across each of Tides’ four core partner segments:
corporates, social change leaders (or social entrepreneurs),
high-net-worth individuals and families, and foundations.
Other responsibilities include:
- managing and mentoring a team of client service
- participating in the development of CS department
- serving as an organizational leader among directors;
- helping to secure new partnerships in collaboration with Tides’
Strategic Partnerships team; and
- helping to ensure Tides stays on the leading edge of the social
In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our
offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our new hybrid
work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the
United States, work from one of our offices when they formally
re-open on September 7, or a combination of both. This is
an exciting time to join Tides.
The Director, Special Initiatives of Tides will possess the
following essential job functions:
Client Service Delivery
- Oversee all service delivery to Tides’ strategy consulting and
program design partners, ensuring all such partners receive the
very best level of service from Tides.
- Personally deliver high-quality service to a small and
strategic set of high-touch strategy consulting and program design
and implementation partners.
- Resolve issues of concern as raised by client partners or
internal stakeholders in a timely and proactive manner. Provide
support to other Advisors in resolving challenges and develop
policy and procedural changes to mitigate future service
- Conduct partner trainings, onboarding, and orientation as
needed. Ensure strategies and capabilities of new partners are
aligned with Tides’ objectives.
Relationship Management & Growth
- In collaboration with other CS teams, personally manage
relationships with highly complex partners that require experience
navigating ambiguity, managing expectations, relationship
management, and strategic advising.
- Ensure that Special Initiative Advisors are thinking
proactively about deepening engagements with partners, by
identifying additional ways Tides can support these partners and
connecting these partners with new opportunities within the Tides
- Partner with Strategic Partnerships (Tides’ business
development team) to develop a pipeline of specific new partnership
opportunities and secure partners with these clients to achieve
annual revenue goals.
- Develop and maintain broad external relations with desired
partners, organizational expertise areas, and issue areas.
- Lead efforts to mine the Tides Partner Network for prospective
new partners, deeper engagement with current partners, and enhanced
- Serve as Tides’ in-house expert on strategy consulting and
program design, and implementation work.
- Identify service improvements that enhance the partner
experience and internal operations.
- Deepen Tides expertise and knowledge management in specific
strategy consulting and program design ecosystems, organizational
expertise areas, and issue areas.
- Establish and roll out a standardized engagement model for all
strategy consulting and program design service team staff in Client
- Market and deliver additional and expanded services to
accelerate the growth and development of existing clients.
- Expand CS and Tides’ ability to deepening our understanding and
expertise around new issue areas, geographies and approaches that
are aligned with clients’ interests and impact strategies.
- Personally model and practice the curation and delivery of
expertise to a set of clients around strategy consulting and
- Partner with the Directors, Strategic Partnerships on new
and existing client engagement models to ensure consistent and
compelling service offerings and delivery.
- Partner with Strategic Partnerships and Marketing &
Communications to position Tides as a leader in the professional
field of strategy consulting and program design, and
implementation, including by ensuring Tides has a visible thought
leadership presence in the field, is present at appropriate
conferences and events, etc.
Department and Organization Leadership
- Supervise Client Service Special Initiatives team members to
achieve organizational goals, mission and priorities while also
helping staff to achieve clearly defined and quantifiable
individual professional goals.
- Support the Chief Partnerships Officer with internal
cross-functional initiatives that enhance the partner experience,
address broader partner portfolio needs, or systemic change to
partner service delivery at Tides.
- Serve as a primary liaison for CS strategy consulting and
program design, and implementation services with the Strategic
- Serve as organizational expert on strategy consulting and
program design, and implementation to accelerate the impact of
Tides and its partners.
- With other directors, lead department team building culture and
activities. Build a culture of trust, transparency, and
- Serve as a member of the senior management team to drive
progress on organizational culture, help set organizational goals,
and advocate for client service throughout the organization.
- Develop matrix staffing approaches in partnership with all
Tides departments, including Human Relations, and Finance teams,
that accelerate success, growth, and impact of strategy consulting
and program design clients.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 15+ years of relevant and applicable work experience in:
- Social impact strategy consulting work in a professional
services environment, working with non-profits, philanthropy,
and/or corporate social impact partners.
- Social impact program design, development, and implementation
work in a non-profit, philanthropy, and/or corporate social impact
environment, including experience with and knowledge of
multi-stakeholder collaboration, collective impact, network
science, systems change, participatory and trust-based philanthropy
and/or organizational development and capacity building principles
- Business and client development, the structuring of complex
offers, and negotiating terms.
- Knowledge and a minimum of 10 years of experience working in
one or more of Tides’ social justice issue areas: Human Rights,
Quality Education, Sustainable Environment, Healthy Individuals and
Communities, and Economic Opportunity.
- Established professional network in the non-profit,
philanthropy, and/or corporate social impact community.
- Strong personal alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission, and
- Ability to build long term relationships with a good networking
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst multiple
commitments, and to drive multiple high profile and complex
projects simultaneously in a challenging and fluid
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills with
a strong ability to facilitate collaborative problem-solving to
reach solutions that benefit all parties.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for
diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide
range of diverse colleagues and client partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including
public speaking, presentation development and diplomacy when
speaking directly with clients.
- B.S. or higher degree; MBA preferred, or equivalent
Compensation & Benefits
Tides offers a competitive annual salary for this role
commensurate with qualifications and experience. Tides also offers
a generous benefits package including comprehensive healthcare,
paid time off, life and disability insurances, and confidential
counseling and life balance resources designed to support the
passion and energy they look for in team members.
Tides Foundation has engaged Koya Partners to help in this hire.
Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Molly Brennan
and Martens Roc
Tides is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages
applications from people of color, persons with disabilities,
women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a
leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to
connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven
clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the
Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we
partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher
education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local
communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.