JDC (The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or “The
Joint”) is the leading global Jewish humanitarian organization. JDC
works in 70 countries to alleviate hunger and hardship, rescue Jews
in danger, provide aid to vulnerable Jews, create lasting
connections to Jewish life, lead the Jewish community’s response to
crisis, and develop innovative solutions to Israel’s most complex
social challenges. JDC’s reach extends beyond the global Jewish
community by providing immediate relief and long-term development
support for victims of natural and man-made disasters worldwide.
For over 100 years, JDC’s work has put the timeless Jewish value of
mutual responsibility into action when the world needs it most,
making JDC essential to the survival of millions of people and the
advancement of Jewish life across the globe.
JDC’s annual budget is approximately $350 million, with close to
1,000 employees spread across New York, Israel, the Former Soviet
Union, Europe, India, Ethiopia, and Latin America. JDC is governed
by a 189-member Board of Directors and the organization has total
assets of approximately $700 million.
For more information about JDC, please visit: https://www.jdc.org/
Opportunity for Impact
The Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) position is a unique,
compelling, and critically important role for a top-tier executive
to help optimize JDC’s position for continued impact in the global
Jewish community. The CAO will be the principal architect of a
resource development operation which supports the organization’s
mission and programs, building on existing advancement efforts and
successfully pursuing new opportunities for funding and
The New York-based CAO will join JDC at an exciting moment of
transition and growth and will play a crucial leadership role in an
exceptionally invested and generous organization. As a member of
the Executive Team, the CAO will partner with newly appointed CEO,
Ariel Zwang, by creating a fundraising and marketing strategy that
will provide increased revenue and greater visibility and by
enhancing its resource development infrastructure. JDC currently
raises over $150M from donors and partners that come from across
the world and from each facet of contemporary Jewish life - Jewish
Federations, foundations, and individuals. JDC’s base of
support remains devoted, and the organization’s leadership is
deeply committed to its fundraising success, and to new and
innovative strategies for revenue diversity that strengthen the
global Jewish community.
The CAO will staff JDC’s Resource Development Committee and will
work closely with members of the organization’s Board of Directors.
The CAO will partner with lay leaders to continue to activate their
networks and to engage them in the overall fundraising
The CAO will also work closely with the leadership of Jewish
Federations as well as JFNA to enhance and expand JDC’s
collaboration with these key stakeholders.
Together with the Resource Development team, the CAO will have
the ultimate responsibility to ensure that JDC’s programs are
supported and sustained for future generations. This position
oversees a global team of 70 professionals and partners closely
with colleagues from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and
all over the world.
Leadership, Strategy, and
- Working in partnership with the CEO, develop and refine a
strategic and collaborative resource development program that
includes ways to deepen and diversify the funding base and increase
restricted and unrestricted funds from all constituencies.
- Promote JDC to new audiences, prospects, and categories of
funders to generate interest and support for the organization; and
increase the depth and breadth of private individual and
institutional support for restricted and unrestricted
- Centralize resource development operations out of JDC’s
headquarters, including the effective and thoughtful managing of
systems, processes, and measurements to monitor, project, and guide
fundraising results and activities.
- Coordinate, integrate, and align critical fundraising
activities and interventions that are currently carried out by
different parts of the organization.
- Create constructive partnerships with colleagues in program
areas throughout the organization who currently engage in targeted
and successful fundraising for their own program areas. Harmonize
these efforts on behalf of all of JDC.
- Carefully monitor the costs associated with fundraising; and
ensure that internal resources are appropriately utilized.
- Develop and execute on a strategic marketing and communications
plan that effectively drives growth, awareness, and visibility to
- Manage, lead, and inspire the marketing, branding, public
relations, and communications functions to align strategies across
a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders and
Talent Management and
- Continue to build and lead the refinement and implementation of
a highly energized and dynamic group of resource development
professionals in a fast paced, growing environment.
- Maintain a flexible leadership style that empowers staff
through active communication and delegation and promotes intra- and
- Focus on performance measurements, individual coaching, and
team development; foster an environment of achievement and ensure
staff accountability for excellence through clearly defined and
- Partner with and support the CEO and Board leaders to ensure
their efficiency and effectiveness as the organization’s chief
spokespersons and fundraisers. Similarly, guide and support key
staff and volunteer leadership with respect to cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship efforts, and utilize their time and
talents appropriately; ensure their effectiveness as spokespersons
- Provide a high level of support to board members and other
high-level volunteers on development-related activities in ways
that inspire them to action and strengthen their intellectual and
- Maintain, build, and diversify a significant portfolio of
donors while facilitating relationships between donors and other
members of the global leadership team, and program
- Cultivate and solicit high-level gifts from a portfolio of
current and prospective donors.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with Jewish Federations and
- Partner with senior JDC professional leaders to identify
fundraising priorities and to cultivate and solicit funders for key
programs in their areas.
- Systematically identify, cultivate, steward, and solicit new
individual and institutional donors capable of making significant
contributions to JDC. Educate targeted donors on JDC’s mission,
programs, and projects, and develop specific strategies and
tailored cases for support.
- Identify and cultivate additional categories of funders,
including corporations, foundations, etc.
This position requires a talented, entrepreneurial executive,
preferably with an international reach and a strong conceptual
understanding of JDC’s mission and impact. For this critical role,
the leadership seeks a seasoned professional who leads with
integrity and is capable of clearly articulating the case for JDC
and raising both private and institutional funds to further the
organization’s mission and values. The CAO will have strategic
vision and will bring new approaches and innovative strategies that
complement JDC’s strong philanthropic foundation. The new CAO
must be a persuasive communicator and an excellent team player and
builder. The position will require an individual who can work
across a large, complex organization to drive brand awareness to
disparate communities across the globe. S/he must have a clear and
authentic commitment to the mission and strategic goals of
The ideal candidate will also offer most or all of the
- Demonstrated success in setting and executing a fundraising
strategy that includes principal giving, foundation support and
program-specific donor giving. Experience in managing a portfolio
of current and prospective major donors.
- Successful experience as a partner to a CEO and
- Ability to learn and gain deep understanding of a diverse range
of programs and their impact to meaningfully engage philanthropic
support. Proficiency in articulating programmatic impact to
- Strong leadership, management and supervision skills that
include the ability to inspire, motivate, influence, and hold team
accountable to high standards and goals.
- Collaborative, team-driven nature with the ability to partner
internally with cross-functional teams and externally with JDC
- Ability to manage and partner with multi-cultural
- Thorough understanding of marketing and communications
terminology and technology.
- Exceptional reasoning, problem solving, and analytical skills,
including an ability to translate ideas and concepts into clear
- Ability to develop and execute detailed and result oriented
business plans with measurable performance indicators and
- Excellent attention to detail, responsiveness, and creative
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an
emphasis on the ability to persuade and influence others around
ideas, decisions, and financial support.
- Deep understanding of the global Jewish philanthropic landscape
and demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of the organized
- Skilled at multi-tasking; able to organize, prioritize and
execute responsibilities in the face of conflicting priorities or
unexpected situations; and a high level of discretion.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally, to spend
time with staff, colleagues, volunteers, and partners.
To apply to this position please visit - http://drgsearch.com/current-searches/?rpid=DeslNZR9ak8
This position description is based upon material provided by
JDC, an equal opportunity employer.
Dara Z. Klarfeld
Chief Executive Officer