Development Director, International Solar Non-Profit (Remote)
6 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Development Director will lead efforts to raise funds to implement projects that deliver solar solutions to rural villages in the developing world. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director is responsible for creating and guiding the implementation of SELF’s fundraising strategy. The successful candidate is expected to work in close collaboration with the Executive Director as a thought partner, advisor, and lead aide on philanthropy-related issues. Note that position finalists will be asked to submit writing samples.
At this time SELF is a fully virtual office but may open a physical office in the Washington, DC area in the future. Continued virtual work will be an option.
The Solar Electric Light Fund (SELF) delivers sustainable solar power and wireless connectivity to rural villages in developing countries. Operating at the cutting edge of solar technology, SELF provides clean energy for water pumps, health clinics, schools, homes, Internet kiosks, micro-enterprise centers and irrigation systems. The goal is to improve health, education and economic opportunity for the nearly one billion people who live without electricity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and collaborate with Communications Manager to keep messaging and branding consistent and targeted to SELF’s overall development strategies.
- Create pitch strategies, provide background preparation, and ensure follow-up.
- Research new grant opportunities to raise project and general operating funds.
- With support of the Communications Manager, create LOIs and respond to RFPs. Write and edit proposals, reports and other correspondence for foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individual funders. Write winning solicitation letters to individuals.
- Articulate and drive a sustained major gifts strategy that will build on and expand SELF’s existing base of donors and engage new prospects; lead the major gifts strategic development and solicitation for general support of SELF.
- The Development Director will maintain a growing donor portfolio, which will be well documented in Salesforce.
- Serve as an executive-level point of contact for external funders and donors; ensure high-level donor stewardship to compliance with donor agreements, troubleshoot issues directly as appropriate, and provide counsel to colleagues regarding effective funder partnership strategies.
- Manage the Salesforce program to assure its reliability and performance
- Use Salesforce to generate key reports on a regular basis to the Executive Director and members of the Board.
- Collaborate with Communications Manager to design a communications plan that best supports Development’s annual goals.
- Develop a yearly Development and Communications budget for approval by the Finance Director and Executive Director.
- Develop and promote a legacy giving program.
- Perform any other relevant duties deemed necessary by the Executive Director.
- May involve some travel
- Problem solves creatively
- Outstanding writing skills
- Excellent verbal abilities
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Keen to understand more about the issues SELF addresses
- Has at least 5 years of experience in fund raising operations
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new digital technologies
- Ability to proactively manage multiple work tasks in a timely manner
- Working experience in the fields of international development, humanitarian or clean energy is a plus.
- Experience working with major donors, including high net worth individuals and their family offices, is highly desirable.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and salary range requirements to: DevSearch@self.org. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. No calls, please.
Apply for Development Director, International Solar Non-Profit (Remote)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly