Development Director will lead efforts to raise funds to
implement projects that deliver solar solutions to rural villages
in the developing world. Reporting to the Executive Director, the
Development Director is responsible for creating and guiding the
implementation of SELF’s fundraising strategy. The successful
candidate is expected to work in close collaboration with the
Executive Director as a thought partner, advisor, and lead aide on
philanthropy-related issues. Note that position finalists
will be asked to submit writing samples.
At this time SELF is a fully virtual office but may open a
physical office in the Washington, DC area in the future. Continued
virtual work will be an option.
The Solar Electric Light Fund (SELF) delivers sustainable
solar power and wireless connectivity to rural villages in
developing countries. Operating at the cutting edge of solar
technology, SELF provides clean energy for water pumps, health
clinics, schools, homes, Internet kiosks, micro-enterprise centers
and irrigation systems. The goal is to improve health,
education and economic opportunity for the nearly one billion
people who live without electricity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and collaborate with Communications Manager to keep
messaging and branding consistent and targeted to SELF’s overall
- Create pitch strategies, provide background preparation, and
- Research new grant opportunities to raise project and general
- With support of the Communications Manager, create LOIs and
respond to RFPs. Write and edit proposals, reports and other
correspondence for foundations, corporations, government agencies,
and individual funders. Write winning solicitation letters to
- Articulate and drive a sustained major gifts strategy that will
build on and expand SELF’s existing base of donors and engage new
prospects; lead the major gifts strategic development and
solicitation for general support of SELF.
- The Development Director will maintain a growing donor
portfolio, which will be well documented in Salesforce.
- Serve as an executive-level point of contact for external
funders and donors; ensure high-level donor stewardship to
compliance with donor agreements, troubleshoot issues directly as
appropriate, and provide counsel to colleagues regarding effective
funder partnership strategies.
- Manage the Salesforce program to assure its reliability and
- Use Salesforce to generate key reports on a regular basis to
the Executive Director and members of the Board.
- Collaborate with Communications Manager to design a
communications plan that best supports Development’s annual
- Develop a yearly Development and Communications budget for
approval by the Finance Director and Executive Director.
- Develop and promote a legacy giving program.
- Perform any other relevant duties deemed necessary by the
- May involve some travel
- Problem solves creatively
- Outstanding writing skills
- Excellent verbal abilities
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Keen to understand more about the issues SELF addresses
- Has at least 5 years of experience in fund raising
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new digital technologies
- Ability to proactively manage multiple work tasks in a timely
- Working experience in the fields of international development,
humanitarian or clean energy is a plus.
- Experience working with major donors, including high net worth
individuals and their family offices, is highly desirable.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and
salary range requirements to: DevSearch@self.org. Submissions
without cover letters will not be considered. No calls,