Reports to: Director of Philanthropic
Compensation: This is a full-time,
exempt, grade 7 position
Date Available: July 2021
To serve as a senior member of a team that fulfills the
end-to-end philanthropic needs of our Premier ($1M+) client base,
with a specific focus on clients $10M+.
The Senior Philanthropic Relationship Manager is a lead
relationship manager, responsible for delivering on a strategic
plan to drive growth and sustainability among our largest accounts.
Manages and stewards growth and retention in accounts with
aggregate assets greater than $2B. Supports other team
members in driving relationships, mitigating client risk, and
cultivating growth opportunities; and collaborates with other
business units to integrate client needs and solutions to deliver a
strategic platform to the Premier client base that is aligned with
overall business objectives.
A consultative, enthusiastic, personal and professional approach
to Premier clients and targeted prospects, in support of Business
Development, is expected to attract prospects and retain
- Develops and executes on a strategy to drive a relationship
plan for Vanguard Charitable’s largest accounts ($10M+) in order to
gain a deep understanding of the clients’ philanthropic plan for
the purpose of retention and long–term growth.
- Creates, manages, and executes a risk/opportunity matrix to
understand, strategize and deliver on a plan to mitigate risk and
capitalize on opportunities within the portfolio. Reports on
risk and opportunity in portfolio to client-facing management.
- Creates and drives an institutional approach to conducting
in-depth annual reviews in the form of face-to-face meetings, by
phone or through video conferences at least once a year.
- Takes a holistic approach to managing relationships and
develops a deep knowledge of what is driving donors’ gifting and
granting patterns. Serves as a trusted advisor to the donor
and the donor’s interested parties.
- Responsible for a percentage of the organization’s growth goals
as dictated by the annual budget.
- Demonstrates and leverages advanced knowledge of philanthropy,
including but not limited to Vanguard Charitable investment
options, grantmaking, contributions, tax implications, government
regulations and Vanguard Charitable policies and guidelines to
initiate new business or influence growth or referrals from VC
current client base.
- Anticipates challenges and demonstrates accountability for
client issues by accepting ownership throughout the problem
resolution process and displaying proper judgment. Resolves
elevated calls/issues and complaints for Premier accounts and other
situations as needed.
- Identifies opportunities and acts on opportunities where
Vanguard Charitable can better serve the needs of
- Serves as an advocate for clients, while balancing business
objectives and priorities. Engages other internal or external
subject matter experts as needed and leads interaction with donors
- Supports the team in achieving significant accomplishments with
a positive impact on departmental results. Takes a “team one”
approach within the Philanthropic Services Team.
- Maintains a high level of industry, tax, regulatory, and
charitable giving knowledge through formal and informal training
opportunities, while avoiding formal counsel and advice to
- Contributes to corporate-wide talent-efforts, including but not
limited to recruiting. Develops formal and informal mentor
relationships within the department and across the business.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and
- A minimum of seven years of exceptional client-relations skills
required; professional background in the nonprofit sector a
- Collaborates effectively across the business, building and
nurturing strong working relationships.
- Conducts self with highest degree of professionalism and
- A quick and versatile learner.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to seek out, synthesize and understand key data
and relationship elements that influence clients’ philanthropic
- Ability to read an audience and flex professional style to
- Has a sense of urgency while maintaining professional
- High emotional intelligence and active listening skills, with
the ability to flex and adapt based on the feelings of
- Effectively challenges status quo and welcomes and drives
- Strategic agility.
- Strong and clear communicator; both written and verbal.
- Strong organization and time-management skills required.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing work environments.
- Solid knowledge of, and experience in the charitable giving
- 10-25% travel required.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- Experience with a CRM strongly preferred.
- Successful completion of Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy
within 18 months of starting position (CAP) a plus.
- Strategic thinker
- Proactive problem-solver
- Strong relationship builder (both internal and
- Ability to manage and resolve complex situations while
Vanguard Charitable is not offering employment-based sponsorship
for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a
successful drug-screening result.