Chief Executive Officer, MANNA FoodBank, Asheville, NC
MANNA FoodBank seeks an experienced Chief Executive Oﬃcer (CEO) with a demonstrated commitment to organizational excellence to lead the organization and add to its exceptional 39-year history. MANNA’s mission is to involve, educate, and unite people in the work of ending hunger in Western North Carolina. MANNA’s vision is: A Hunger-Free Western North Carolina.About the Organization
Founded in 1982, MANNA meets its mission through an innovative set of collaborative programs throughout the Western North Carolina service area, including 16 counties and the Qualla Boundary. MANNA is an active member of Feeding America, the national network of food banks, and contributes to and beneﬁts from the strength of this nation-wide hunger-relief eﬀort.
MANNA has a strong network of relationships with local partners, funders, and government agencies. It has a committed 19-member Board, an experienced and dedicated staﬀ, and an annual cash budget of approximately $6.9 million and an in-kind budget of $25 million. MANNA’s headquarter operations are housed in two adjacent warehouses with a combined space of 46,000 sq. ft., which house food distribution, volunteer services, program support, and administration. MANNA also leases oﬃce and approximately 20,000 sq. ft. of dry warehouse space. A future 100,000 sq. ft. replacement facility is being designed for occupancy in late 2022. This new facility will be located in Swannanoa, NC. Current staﬃng includes three executive level positions (CDO, COO, and CFO) that report to the Chief Executive Oﬃcer and 65 management and program staﬀ.
The organizational culture can be described as hardworking, down-to-earth, mission-driven, compassionate and respectful toward the community, and thankful toward donors, partners, and volunteers.Operations
MANNA’s operations involve collecting, warehousing, and distributing food to nearly 250 partner agencies throughout the 16 Western North Carolina counties and the Qualla Boundary. Food distribution has grown by more than 10% annually, and 21.5 million pounds were distributed in 2019/20. MANNA directly serves almost 5000 children weekly through the MANNA Packs for Kids program and seeks to strengthen partner agencies through ongoing education and support. MANNA advocates for improved access to food and nutrition services in concert with local, state, and national policy makers.Recognition
MANNA FoodBank has been locally recognized as one of the premier nonproﬁts in Western North Carolina and is consistently awarded for its sustainable growth and organizational eﬃciency. MANNA has maintained a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator for 10 consecutive years, placing in the top 2% of non- proﬁts nationwide.The Region
Western North Carolina is a culturally rich region that is both economically and geographically diverse. The position is based in Asheville, located in the heart of the Southern Appalachian Mountains, is home to a remarkably large nonproﬁt sector, and is characterized by political and cultural diversity.The Position
MANNA seeks an individual who is well prepared to provide the inspired external and internal leadership required of this role. The new CEO must have proven, signiﬁcant, and successful organizational leadership experience and the ability to oversee fundraising, programs, and overall operations while working eﬀectively with both the leadership team and the board to guide the organization. The CEO must also possess the talent to listen and communicate eﬀectively and to build relationships with multiple constituencies, including the Board, staﬀ, donors, media, government oﬃcials, agency partners, and other community leaders.
The incoming CEO will succeed Hannah Randall, MANNA’s current leader, who has led the organization since 2016 and will be transitioning at the end of 2021. Her leadership has positioned MANNA as one of the most respected and collaborative nonproﬁt organizations in the region.Key Responsibilities
- Vision, Mission, and Strategy Development - Working with the Board and staﬀ, the CEO will oversee the implementation of strategic and annual planning to guide MANNA towards achievement of its vision and mission.
- External Liaison and Public Image - As primary spokesperson for MANNA FoodBank, the CEO will inspire external partners to collaborate towards MANNA’s mission. The CEO must develop dynamic working relationships with diverse constituencies including government, education, nonproﬁt, business, religious, and donor groups.
- Fundraising and Resource Development - The CEO, in partnership with the Board and Resource Development staﬀ, will drive fundraising initiatives for developing and implementing appropriate and diversiﬁed fundraising strategies.
- Fiscal Management – The CEO will oversee planning and budgeting systems to ensure that income is managed wisely to serve the organization’s goals and that systems and staﬀ are in place to accurately monitor, assess, and manage the ﬁnancial health of the organization.
- Human Resources Management - The CEO maintains strong internal leadership built on teamwork and collaborative decision-making. The CEO will emphasize staﬀ leadership development activities that upgrade employee skills, motivate performance, and promote staﬀ retention. The CEO will also ensure adherence to the personnel policies in all hiring and employment practices.
- Build and cultivate relationships with and between people facing hunger, staﬀ, board, partner agencies, donors, elected oﬃcials, other food banks, Feeding America, and key community leaders
- Oversee implementation of the future facility project
- Oversee implementation of MANNA’s role in the Healthy Opportunities Pilot in western North Carolina
- Research and analyze the latest public policy, operational, media, and community information on food insecurity regionally and nationally. Lead MANNA’s public policy eﬀorts.
- Listen and lead MANNA to develop new opportunities for technology infrastructure and outcomes
- Assess and reexamine strategic Continue to fulﬁll MANNA’s programmatic goals for the year based on the organization’s strategic and annual work plans.
- Lead MANNA in alignment with the Feeding America network
national strategic priorities, which include:
- Catalyze a movement until no one in America is hungry
- Keep people at the center
- Address racial and geographic disparities
- Maximize food sourcing and sharing
- Expand network capacity
- Transform the charitable food experience
- Elevate the public sector role
- A demonstrated understanding of the issues related to hunger and poverty
- A history of visionary, mission-focused leadership based on strong strategic and collaborative thinking, as well as demonstrated ability to align and build trust among multiple constituencies around the big picture
- A successful record of senior leadership and management experience
- Proven track record of signiﬁcant accomplishments and professional experience in the nonproﬁt and/or public sector
- Personal commitment to and/or lived experience in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated experience with organizational change and change management
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal and public speaking skills, and experience with diverse populations and multiple constituencies
- Demonstrated experience with fundraising practices and relationship cultivation within the areas of foundation, government, corporate and individual giving
- A commitment to fostering a culture of staﬀ trust, empowerment, and individualized staﬀ development
- A high degree of ﬁnancial literacy and ﬁnancial management experience
- Ability and willingness to work with and develop strong Board leadership
- An ability to connect with the younger generation of philanthropists and collaborators, with an understanding of social media and its potential
- Demonstrated aptitude for new technology and systems
- An understanding of and sensitivity to rural life and culture
- A dynamic presence balanced with grace, humility, and approachability
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity and professional ethics
- Political awareness and astuteness with experience in legislative advocacy and public policy
- A creative, entrepreneurial spirit with an innovation mindset
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education, training, certiﬁcations, or experience
- The salary is $130,000 annually
- MANNA FoodBank also oﬀers a very competitive and comprehensive beneﬁts package
- To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume in a single PDF via email only to:
- o Please, no phone calls, faxes, or applications through third-party platforms. Only applications submitted via email will be considered.
- o Application deadline: August 15, 2021
For more information about MANNA, please visit the website at: www.mannafoodbank.org
MANNA embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity by creating an environment of mutual respect, transparency, and sharing of diﬀerent opinions and ideas. MANNA’s goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. The celebration of inclusivity and diversity is essential to helping MANNA achieve its mission to involve, educate, and unite people in the work of ending hunger in Western North Carolina.
Apply for Chief Executive Officer, MANNA FoodBank, Asheville, NC
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly