ActionAid USA is the U.S. branch of ActionAid
International, which works in more than 50 countries to achieve
social justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication. We
influence U.S. policy and international institutions like the
United Nations and elevate marginalized voices in the halls of
Read our 2018-2020 strategy for more information on the
specific issue areas on which we do advocacy, fundraising and
Position Title: Communications
Reports To: Director of Policy &
Positional Purpose: The Communications
Manager works closely with the Policy & Campaigns team and the
Development team to produce messaging that effectively communicates
the ActionAid brand through all appropriate channels to supporters,
donors, policymakers, advocates, campaigners and activists.
Salary Range: $65,000-$80,000. This is a
collective bargaining unit position and includes a full benefits
package including health, life and disability insurance, a
retirement plan, and generous paid time off for holidays, vacation,
parental and sick leave.
- Continually refine ActionAid USA’s communications strategy, in
collaboration with the Director of Policy & Campaigns, Director
of Development and the Senior Management Team.
- Manage the implementation of ActionAid USA’s communications
strategy, in support of the Policy & Campaigns and Development
teams and the organization’s country strategy.
- Manage press outreach, working with the Policy & Campaigns
and Development teams and ActionAid USA’s outside earned media
- Collaborate with the Development team on fundraising campaigns,
particularly those targeting individual donors.
- Manage the Digital Communications Officer and support them
across aspects of their workplan, including email blasts, social
media postings, website management and more.
- Plan and manage the ActionAid USA communications budget with
support from the Director of Policy & Campaigns and relevant
- Liaise with communications colleagues in ActionAid
International’s Global Secretariat and other country offices,
assessing ActionAid USA’s capacity to respond to their needs and
supporting when feasible.
- Manage relationships with and ensure timely payment for all
communications-related external contractors and vendors.
- Direct the production of audiovisual, digital and print content
for target audiences in collaboration with colleagues and external
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- At least 3-5 years of experience in communications, ideally in
the nonprofit sector
- Experience with strategic planning processes and earned media
- Strong organization and time management skills, including the
ability to manage multiple projects, anticipate obstacles, and
identify ways to navigate challenges
- Ability to connect with people of different backgrounds and
communications preferences, including experience working in
cross-cultural and multinational contexts
- Familiarity with international development, climate justice,
social justice, and poverty issues, and the intersections between
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice
- Experience with audiovisual content production a plus
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
We are currently accepting applications
on a rolling basis through July 31, 2021. Please send your cover
letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the
subject, please write “[Your Name] – Communications Manager”.
Please no phone calls.
Should you not receive any feedback on your application
within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
ActionAid USA is an equal opportunity employer. We are
committed to diversity, inclusion and feminist and anti-racist
principles. Women, people of color, and people who identify as
LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply. ActionAid USA staff are
unionized under SEIU Local 500 and this position is part of the
collective bargaining unit.