Senior Director of Development
AU is seeking a seasoned major gift professional to serve as its Sr. Director of Development to develop and implement our major gift program. The successful candidate will be responsible for growing the major gifts program, managing an active major gift-level portfolio of individuals, implementing strategic and effective donor relations to secure current and planned gifts, and managing the planned giving efforts.
- Grow and manage an active portfolio of major gift donors and prospects with a moves management approach, including research, identification, cultivation, face-to-face solicitation, and stewardship.
- Lead and implement major gift cultivation and stewardship plan and events, coordinating with senior staff, including major gift pipeline growth activities through the activation of mid-level donors.
- Lead planned giving initiatives, including management of planned giving marketing vendors, and addressing donor questions.
- Provide strategic support to the Chief Development Officer, Senior Staff, key volunteers, and others for prospect and donor cultivation and solicitation visits and activities.
- Staff the CEO for major gift prospect and donor work.
- Provide leadership and management to special projects, like AU’s 75th
- Manage the Major Gifts Officer position
- Support the Development Committee of the board, including lead the annual Board campaign.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects.
- Work with the development department to align efforts and set goals.
- Track and report progress using specific metrics.
- Participate in appropriate professional development activities to keep current with issues and trends in the fundraising field.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Undergraduate degree, CFRE designation preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of successful hands-on experience in cultivation and solicitation of major and planned gift donors and prospects, including knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
- Work within an advocacy organization, while not required, would be useful.
- Established track record of soliciting and closing five, six-figure gifts from a national pool.
- Polished communication abilities including listening, written communication, and presentation skills including the ability to craft and articulate a persuasive case for support.
- Excellent organizational and people skills, including supervisory experience.
- The ability to maintain accountability and to work independently and creatively, while functioning as part of a cooperative and coordinated team.
- Advocate for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
- Tact and diplomacy in building strong working relationships with colleagues.
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks and negotiate several priorities simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings, and to maintain a travel schedule necessary to visit donors and prospective donors.
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders, and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes, and abilities. Because we work on a wide variety of issues with many different communities, we value what diversity and diverse perspectives bring to our work.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying, and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Competitive Salary Range: $145,000 - $160,000
Generous Benefits: Americans United offers a comprehensive benefits package including employer-paid premiums for health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and a 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
Position Closes: July 31, 2021
Apply for Senior Director of Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Executive For-Profit Companies jobs in Washington D.C.
- Fundraising For-Profit Companies jobs in Washington D.C.
- Capital Campaigns For-Profit Companies jobs in Washington D.C.
- Donor Relations For-Profit Companies jobs in Washington D.C.
- Fundraising Administration For-Profit Companies jobs in Washington D.C.