(NYC Preferred; other locations may be considered)
Helen Keller Intl is a global health organization dedicated to
eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition and diseases of
poverty. Co-founded by Helen Keller – and guided by her fierce
optimism and belief in human potential – the organization delivers
life-changing health and food security solutions to build
resilience of vulnerable families where the need is great but
access to care is limited. In the US, Africa, and Asia, Helen
Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create
opportunities in their own lives and build lasting
Helen Keller overcame tremendous obstacles to her health and wellbeing – and helped millions of others to do the same. Guided by her remarkable legacy, Helen Keller Intl partners with communities that are striving to overcome longstanding cycles of poverty. By delivering the essential building blocks of good health, sound nutrition and clear vision, we help millions of people create lasting change in their own lives. Together with a global community of supporters, we are ensuring that every person has the opportunity – as Helen did – to reach their true potential.
The Marketing and Communications team is an integral unit of Helen Keller’s External Relations department that is responsible for raising highly flexible unrestricted and restricted funds in order to support Helen Keller Intl’s global health, nutrition and vision work. Specifically, the Marketing and Communications team works to raise Helen Keller’s profile and brand, develop and communicate stories of impact on the lives of individuals, families and communities, and help attract and engage philanthropic individuals and families passionate about Helen Keller’s mission.
The External Relations department is structured in such a way that the work of each unit supports and reinforces the work of every other unit. Regular communication and a spirit of teamwork among colleagues, both hierarchically and laterally are essential to make this structure thrive.
Scope of the Position
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Storyteller will be an integral part of communicating Helen Keller’s global impact to strengthen the organization’s public profile and advance its mission. S/he will help develop and implement a storytelling pipeline to capture the critical work Helen Keller is doing in countries across Africa, Asia and the United States to help strengthen the organization’s public profile among prospects, donors, media, and partners.
The Storyteller will build relationships and collaborate with colleagues across the organization to leverage diverse knowledge and expertise and to capture the impact of our programs.
- Develop, maintain, and implement systems that include workflows, processes, controls and documentation for storytelling pipeline.
- Partner closely with the Program Communications Officer to implement and refine storytelling pipeline.
- Liaise with program teams and country-based teams to tease out stories of impact.
- Adapt field stories for specific purposes including donor community emails, annual reports, white papers, blogs, etc.
- Content generation
- Draft original content and guide, edit and support content development by colleagues in effort to increase visibility.
- Develop, draft and distribute quarterly digital subscriber newsletter in partnership with the Marketing Manager.
- Manage day-to-day social media engagement to grow a community of followers and donors.
- Contribute to regular donor communications (emails, annual report, etc.).
- Support positioning requests for 990, charity watchdogs, etc.).
- Serve as an editor and contributor for Helen Keller Intl’s blog.
- Support media relations, in close collaboration with the Director, including monitoring Helen Keller’s public profile, drafting content and sharing recommendations for raising organization’s profile.
- Maintain and monitor brand integrity and editorial guidelines across internal and external communications.
- Support External Relations and peer teams with copyediting support as needed.
- Education: Degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field a plus.
- Experience: 3-5 years of professional experience in communications, public relations, advocacy and/or journalism, preferably with a global nonprofit or NGO, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience or interest in donor communications, development, or fundraising.
- Superior English language writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with focus and experience in synthesizing complex content into essential, compelling messages for a range of mediums including one-pagers, reports, white papers, website, social media and press.
- Photography and/or videography experience a plus.
- Creative problem-solving skills, ability to manage competing priorities and thrive under tight deadlines.
- Excellent project management, collaboration and relationship-building skills.
- Knowledge of media delivery and monitoring platforms (Meltwater a plus).
- Demonstrable respect for all persons regardless of religion, ethnicity, class or gender, with a high comfort level working in a diverse environment with a demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards.
- Commitment to Helen Keller Intl’s work and mission.
- Proficiency in French is a plus.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We would especially appreciate a thoughtful cover letter regarding your specific interest in this role at Helen Keller. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
In the spirit of our founder and namesake, Helen Keller
is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is fully valued.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us at the email above or call: +1 646-356-1789.
Apply for Storyteller
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly