Director of Annual Giving
The Director of Annual Giving leads Phillips Academy’s effort to raise restricted and unrestricted current use support and to grow donor participation. They will provide strategic direction to annual fundraising efforts, including increasing leadership annual donor support, growing alumni donor participation, and leading a sophisticated marketing effort.
The Director leads a department of eight professional and administrative staff and collaborates with colleagues in Development, Alumni Engagement and Academy Communications to achieve results.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Overseeing a class-and-reunion based program that solicits gifts annually through volunteers and staff;
• Leading Andover’s strategies to increase the Andover Fund, meeting and/or exceeding both unrestricted and restricted current use goals;
• Providing strategic direction to segmentation and messaging directed toward growing donor count through acquisition of new donors and retention of current donors; and
• Participating in leading the development initiatives of Phillips Academy under the direction of the Director of Development and in partnership with key colleagues.
This position requires excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to take initiative and collaborate with others, and an understanding of private education. Additionally, applicants should demonstrate proficiency with common business productivity and analysis tools as well as familiarity with customer base segmentation techniques. A Bachelor’s degree is required.
The role requires 5 to 7 years of direct or transferrable experience; to succeed through team leadership and personal action in three key areas: managing fundraising volunteers, direct solicitation of leadership annual gifts, and growing donor participation.
- Management of Annual Giving Team: including skill development, goal setting and collaboration.
- Comprehensive oversight of marketing and communications efforts to drive total annual fund support and donors, using industry best practices and analytics to drive decisions and strategy.
- Effective frontline fundraising: full understanding and implementation of the process, qualification through stewardship.
- All aspects of volunteer management: creating and managing to expectations, effective communication, goal setting and efficient support.
- Compelling and strong communicator and writer.
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with the ability to execute in multiple channels simultaneously: direct and volunteer solicitation; print and electronic direct marketing; and social media. They will have a passion for innovation and risk-taking, balancing these qualities with an appreciation of the traditions that are the legacy of decades of Andover donors and volunteers.
Travel—including overnight travel—is required, both locally off-campus as well as out of state. Night and weekend work is required for events and donor engagements, both on campus and off, including out of state.
Please complete an application as well as submit a resume and cover letter outlining the reasons for your interest in this position.
Phillips Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Phillips Academy is an intentionally diverse and inclusive residential community “committed to creating an equitable and inclusive school in which students from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences—including race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, socioeconomic class, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, and ability—learn and grow together.” The ideal candidate supports the inclusive and diverse nature of the community. Any offers of employment will be contingent upon successful CORI/SORI and fingerprinting background checks as well as unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.