Program Officer, Philanthropic Services & Executive Giving
Program Officer, Philanthropic Services & Executive
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
New York, NY
About Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund (WPF) is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Wellspring has offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC. Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
- Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential and should be accountable to these ends.
- The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected.
- Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
- As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
In addition to Wellspring Philanthropic Fund’s established thematic program areas, Wellspring supports Donor Philanthropic Initiatives and an Executive Grant Portfolio. Donor Philanthropic Initiatives refers to our support for the philanthropic interests of individual WPF donors which are highly aligned with WPF’s established thematic program areas, and some of which are new and independent. Executive Giving is a discretionary portfolio, managed under the direction of Wellspring’s President, intended to support initiatives that broadly advance Wellspring’s mission but do not fall neatly within any of the foundation’s thematic programs. Specific activities of the Department include:
- Researching and field mapping emerging issues and new areas of interest.
- Supporting donor education and engagement about best practices in philanthropy and in particular areas of substantive philanthropic interest.
- Supporting the development of strategies and appropriate systems and structures for new areas of philanthropic engagement.
- Managing grantee relationships, soliciting, evaluating, and presenting funding proposals for approval, monitoring activities supported with grant funds, and appropriately communicating outcomes and lessons learned.
- Maintaining awareness of the goals and strategies of Wellspring’s established thematic programs, and exploring and nurturing synergies among and between the thematic programs, Donor Philanthropic Initiatives, and Executive Grants.
- Supporting special projects of the President’s Office as needed.
For more information on Wellspring Philanthropic Fund, please visit www.wpfund.org.The Opportunity
Wellspring seeks a Program Officer with a strong customer service mentality to join our Donor Philanthropic Initiatives & Executive Giving department. The Officer will report to the Director and will offer high-quality, responsive support to the philanthropic interests of Wellspring’s donors, and to the Office of the President, helping to manage a broad and evolving set of philanthropic portfolios. The Officer is a generalist position, which calls on a breadth of knowledge in philanthropy, social justice, and human rights, rather than depth in one content area. Most important is a client-focused mentality and an understanding of effective philanthropy.Primary responsibilities fall into four broad categories, each of which is central to the role: Philanthropic Services
- Support the positive engagement of Wellspring’s donors through superior and responsive relationship management; be proactive in anticipating needs and provide accurate, timely resolution of issues when they arise.
- Assist donors to coordinate and implement their identified grantmaking strategies.
- Collaborate with departments across Wellspring to execute aligned strategies and provide coordinated support to individual philanthropists.
- Research outstanding needs, refine philanthropy strategies, and develop goals for impact.
- Stay well-informed of new developments and trends in selected social justice fields to identify gaps and opportunities; explore emerging grantmaking strategies across a diverse set of issues.
- Create reports and memos to educate Wellspring leadership and donors on areas of interest.
- Manage outside consultants: develop RFPs, solicit proposals, develop work plans, oversee contracts, and ensure high-quality deliverables.
- Effectively manage workflow and processes with donors through clear communication that is simple, effective, and customized.
- Under the guidance of the Director, support the Executive Grants portfolio, conducting due diligence and ensuring compliance with internal grantmaking processes and monitoring protocols.
- Oversee the fellowship grants throughout all stages, from coordinating task forces, reviewing applications, interviewing candidates, and making recommendations to grantees.
- Explore potential grantees, manage grantee relationships, conduct site visits, review progress reports, and monitor and evaluate grantee work.
- Prepare written summaries and evaluations of grant proposals, track spending, enter all information in grants database, and prepare and manage consultant contracts.
- Represent WPF at conferences and meetings with NGOs, funders, experts, and consultants and ensure follow-up, as needed. This may include some minimum international or domestic travel. (Note that Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is prioritizing the safety of its team in COVID-19 and has suspended travel for the time being).
- Contribute to the advancement of organization‐wide initiatives at Wellspring, including internal committees or task forces with program and operational staff.
- Participate in team activities to coordinate workflow, learn, align grantmaking, and represent the Donor Philanthropic Initiatives and Executive Giving team internally and externally.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
Strong candidates will bring a diverse set of skills, characteristics, and experiences, both professional and lived. Wellspring Philanthropic Fund and Koya strive to mitigate inherent biases that influence hiring practices by focusing on a holistic view of potential candidates and understanding that no single candidate will offer every desired skill and characteristic.
The following offers an aspirational view of the ideal candidate profile; we encourage applications from candidates with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds, especially those from underrepresented groups.
- 7-10 years of experience working in philanthropy and grantmaking.
- Service-oriented with a strong commitment to client service and support; ability to assess, anticipate, and meet the donors’ goals and preferences.
- Past experience supporting individual philanthropists or high-net worth donors is a must.
- Ability to implement strategic plans or initiatives that engage a range of philanthropic perspectives.
- General knowledge of social justice issues in the U.S. required. International experience preferred.
- Ability to manage complex processes in a fast-paced environment, and creatively problem solve.
- Highly flexible and adaptable, comfortable knowing every day at work may be different.
- Must thrive when working under deadlines, have strong project, time management skills, and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail.
- A self-starter; comfortable working autonomously but also as part of a larger team.
- Willingness to share in both “big picture” thinking and administrative tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional maturity, humility, and tact.
- Excellent analytic abilities, research, writing, editing, and communications skills.
- Understands and values social justice, including racial and gender equity as an organizational operating principle –and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, gender, equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Asana.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.Compensation & Benefits
Salary range: $100,000 - $110,000 based on experience. Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment OR college savings assistance for dependents, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.Contact
Molly Brennan and Malissa Brennan of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email Molly Brennan and Malissa Brennan at firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcomes such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity and inclusion that we seek through our work to amplify in the larger world.
Wellspring hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundation’s service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law (e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
At Koya, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team, our clients, and the communities we serve.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone. Koya does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.