With world attention on both the environment and the
economy, Environmental Defense Fund
(EDF) is where policymakers and business
leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science,
uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent
threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest
environmental organizations, with more than two million members and
a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy
experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22
geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You
will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results
are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds
and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we
face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We
seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect,
Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support
our Commitment to
EDF’s Prospect Research team is expanding in order to support
our growing Development Department. Under the supervision of
the Director, Prospect Research the Prospect Research
Specialist researches, analyzes, and recommends strategy on
donors and prospective donors with Major Gift capacity (both in the
US and internationally). The Prospect Research
Specialist also partners with Major Gift Officers on strategy and
assists with special projects.
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for
Executive & Development Staff for events and meetings, with
emphasis on constituents’ wealth, interests (including
philanthropic interests) and relationships
- Partners with Major Gifts Officers (focusing on strategy
- Manages research needs for Program Staff’s meetings with
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to
identify and qualify new prospective donors and assesses new
opportunities with existing donors, through the following
- Research on prospective donors suggested by staff and
- Research on Membership donors who appear to have major gift
- Sphere of influence mapping
- Searching Foundation Directory Online and
keeping up with the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- External sources including the Eco-Rich List, key
industry lists, annual reports, etc.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from
all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and
empowered to address the environmental and organizational
challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 2 years of experience in Prospect Research, including
experience with targeted Google searches, Salesforce, LexisNexis,
NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci, and other common
- Experience with Blackbaud ResearchPoint and analyzing
Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial
data a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information,
find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and
recommendations clearly, concisely, and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented,
well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from
conception to completion.
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with an environmental organization a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and
inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders
across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal
opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are
considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
basis prohibited by law.