Senior Associate, Foundation & Government Relations
Senior Associate, Foundation & Government Relations
Lincoln Center, New York City
New York City Ballet is one of the foremost dance companies in the world, with a roster of spectacular dancers and an unparalleled repertory. Founded in 1948 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, New York City Ballet quickly became world-renowned for its athletic and contemporary style. Widely acknowledged for its enduring contributions to dance, New York City Ballet is committed to promoting creative excellence and nurturing a new generation of dancers and choreographers. The School of American Ballet is the official training academy of the New York City Ballet.
The Foundation & Government Relations Senior Associate reports to and supports the Director of Foundation & Government Relations in raising $4 to $5 million annually from private foundation and government sources. This full-time position manages grants, maintains a portfolio of foundation donors, plays a key role in government advocacy, and researches and develops funding prospects.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning and implementation of Foundation and Government fundraising plans.
- Write proposals, reports, and manages large-scale grant applications and budgets for foundations and government agencies.
- Facilitate day-to-day relationships and communications with foundation and government contacts, including drafting and sending acknowledgement letters and event invitations.
- Help maintain a portfolio of approximately 50 foundations and cultivate existing and new relationships.
- Assist with strategy for foundation and government funding in collaboration with the Senior Director of Development.
- Research prospective donors for general operating support, education programs, and artistic projects.
- Draft correspondence for Executive Director, Senior Director of Development, Artistic Director, and Associate Artistic Director.
- Liaise with staff in Marketing, Operations, Finance, and Education to create proposal and report materials.
- Represent NYCB at meetings with various foundation and government contacts.
Oversee tasks to advance annual fundraising plan.
- Manage subset of foundation portfolio and prospects and applicable deadlines.
- Serve as coordinator for government relations, working with contacts at the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, New York State Council on the Arts and National Endowment for the Arts, as well as New York City Council Members, New York State Assembly Members and Senators, and members of Congress.
- Manage usage of Tessitura for foundations and government relations.
- Manage grants calendar.
- Maintain income and expense projections.
- Work with Donor Records to receive and process all incoming contributions.
- Liaise with Ticket Services to fulfill house seat requests for foundation and government contacts.
- Hire and manage interns on as-needed basis.
Support development with planning and implementing organizational goals.
- Work with other Development areas to manage all foundation and government donor listings in printed and electronic materials, including Playbill, performance programs, and NYCB’s website.
- Reconcile monthly and annual revenue and expense accounting.
- Provide staffing and attend various Development events.
- Provide support and complete additional projects as assigned.
- Highest moral character and integrity;
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years relevant fundraising experience
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivated, goal-focused, proactive, and flexible
- Committed to and enthusiastic about the mission, programs and services of NYCB
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently and meet deadlines with limited oversight
- Persuasive and strategic communicator with strong interpersonal skills and problem-solving ability
- Proficiency with standard business applications, such as MS Office
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently
- Less than 5% travel
- Experience with Tessitura or related donor database preferred.
This is a full-time position and the hours of work are between 10am – 6pm weekdays. Position requires the ability to participate in donor events and attend performances, including frequent evenings and weekends. Travel may be required as needed.
- A salary to match your experience and qualifications
- A competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Programs
- Generous paid time off policy including holidays, floating holidays/personal days, sick and vacation time
Interested, qualified candidates may apply by forwarding their resume and salary requirements to:
With “Senior Associate, Foundation and Government Relations” in the subject line.
No Phone Calls, Please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.
For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, please visit:
Apply for Senior Associate, Foundation & Government Relations
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly