Associate Manager, Donor Relations
The Development Department at The New York Public Library raises funds from private sources to support the mission and vision of The New York Public Library. The team is made up of a dynamic group of development and events professionals who together represent expertise in all areas of fundraising, including individual, corporate, foundation and government grants, special events, membership, planned giving, and systems management. The Development Department raises over $20 million in Annual Fund and over $90 million overall each year.
Reporting to the Director of Development Operations and Support, the Associate Manager of Donor Relations will play a critical role in the department’s major gift fundraising and will help drive the department’s ambitious goals and priorities. The Associate Manager will support the prospect management of high-level donors, as well as directly prospect manage a small portfolio of donors. The Associate Manager will be responsible for drafting proposals and stewardship reports, working directly with curators, program staff, and other stakeholders across the Library, preparing briefings and other correspondence, supporting the major gift pipeline through prospect research and moves management, and managing donor information in the department’s Raiser’s Edge database.
Reporting to the Director of Development Operations and Support, the Associate Manager of Donor Relations will:
- Serve as prospect manager for a portfolio of major gift donors, including preparing briefings and talking points for the Library’s senior leadership, drafting solicitations, acknowledgements, and other correspondence, and managing important aspects of donor stewardship.
- Draft proposals and donor stewardship reports, working with curators, program staff, and other stakeholders to create compelling cases for support around the Library’s priorities.
- Responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a small personal portfolio of mid-range donors.
- Support the Major Gift team’s pipeline of prospects, by researching current and prospective donors, creating prospect lists around priorities, and developing strategies for engagement.
- Provide support at evening Development events.
- Provide administrative support, including data entry in Raiser’s Edge database, management of lists, and agendas
- Perform related duties as required
- BA/BS, preferably in the humanities
- 3-5 years of fundraising experience
- Strong project management skills and able to manage multiple projects, deadlines, and stakeholders
- High degree of initiative, organization, and follow-through
- Responsible self-starter and able to work independently
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff, donors, and the public, and the ability to exercise good judgement
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure and within firm deadlines
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word and Excel
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Limited physical effort is required
- Light lifting required
- Lifting up to 40 lbs. Required
- May require travel within NYC
35 hours per week, Monday - Friday 9-5, with some evenings for Development event support