Department: Advancement Supervisor: Chief Advancement
Do you have a passion for social justice? Sojourners has an
immediate opening for a full-time Director of Strategic Gifts. The
purpose of this role is to secure funds for the organization by
managing a group (caseload) of assigned and qualified major donors,
ensuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors
to the organization and are upgraded in their giving and
involvement, and identifying and cultivating new donors.
For 50 years, Sojourners (sojo.net) has resourced, equipped, and
mobilized millions of people from around the world to put their
faith into action for social justice. We draw on a long and diverse
tradition of Christians following Jesus and seeking justice, across
different traditions and cultures. We reach more than 6 million
readers annually through our award-winning monthly magazine, our
online publication, and social media. The organization has embraced
a commitment to applying a racial equity and inclusion lens to all
its work, and strives to embody this commitment in its advocacy,
publications, communications, organizing, and operations. We invite
you to join us as we grow a movement focused on justice and
- Manage a portfolio of 75-100 qualified donors and identify,
prioritize, cultivate, and solicit gifts of $5,000 and above, with
priority for identifying individuals capable of making
- Collaborate with colleagues on the Major Gifts team (including
the Chief Advancement Officer, Senior Director of Foundation
Relations, and Associate Director of Strategic Gifts) in developing
overall team strategy and goals, and track progress toward
- In collaboration with the Major Gifts team, oversee the
President’s portfolio of donors providing strategic guidance and
- Work with the President and key staff to cultivate, solicit,
and steward major donors from your own portfolio where needed for
the individual donor plan.
- With the Director of Individual Giving, the Associate Director
of Strategic Gifts, and Senior Director of Foundation Relations,
build and maintain a donor pipeline from individual giving to
mid-level gifts to strategic gifts.
- Produce fundraising materials including, but not limited to,
letters, emails, proposals, PowerPoint presentations, and reports.
This includes drafting original copy and editing documents.
- Conduct 20 meaningful points of contact (in-person meeting,
phone call, e-communication, etc.) with donors per month.
- Assess the potential and capacity of existing and prospective
- Create a foundational communication and marketing plan for each
person on the caseload, involving the CAO and/or President when
appropriate. Execute the plan faithfully, and on a timely basis, so
that individuals on the caseload are retained and upgraded.
- Work with program and the Senior Director of Foundation
Relations to secure appropriate project information and to create
asks, proposals, budgets, and reports that will be used with
persons on the caseload to secure gifts.
- Organize small- and medium-scale events to deepen relationships
with existing donors and/or to introduce Sojourners to new
audiences and raise funds.
- Work with the Associate Director of Strategic Gifts to manage
research on new prospective individual donor and family
foundations, analyze their giving history and potential, and write
- Work with Chief Advancement Officer and other staff in the
roll-out of the public phase of the capital campaign and
50th anniversary celebration.
- Coordinate, organize, and facilitate monthly prospect meetings
with CAO, Senior Director of Foundation Relations, and Associate
Director of Strategic Gifts to review shared donors and next
- Record summaries of donor and prospect meetings and
post-meeting follow-up activities in Raiser’s Edge; conduct
- Track solicitation amounts, anticipated gifts, pledges, and
income, and provide regular revenue and cash flow updates on
projections vs. actuals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of social and economic justice issues.
- Understanding of and commitment to Sojourners’ faith-based
- Experience building successful relationships with
high-net-worth individuals and their representatives; track record
of soliciting and securing major gifts from individual donors, or
- Demonstrated success in building strategic relationships that
benefit the organization, the philanthropic partner, and ultimately
lead to increased support in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 5 years of successful
fundraising experience, ideally in a faith-based and/or progressive
nonprofit organization or higher education.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are
- Expert interpersonal skills: energetic, high emotional
intelligence, and excellent management and coaching skills.
- Interest in and experience in developing and implementing
fundraising strategies for people of all ethnic and racial
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, meet deadlines, and work
collaboratively in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel frequently, as dictated by individual donor
- Familiarity with fundraising best practices, standards, and
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
This full-time position involves occasional weekend and evening
work and requires frequent travel when safe to return to
Benefits of this position: Excellent benefits package includes
fully paid health insurance, 20 days’ paid vacation, 401(k) plan,
and a positive, faith-based work environment. The Director of
Strategic Gifts position offers the satisfaction of helping donors
fulfill their passions and interests through their giving to
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional
reference contacts to email@example.com with Director of
Strategic Gifts in the subject line. Applications will be accepted
until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually
seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable
culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.