Major Gifts Officer
Lasell University seeks an experienced, collaborative and successful Major Gifts Officer (MGO) – which we call Philanthropy and Engagement Officers – to join the University Advancement team at an exciting time for the institution. Lasell University is in the building stages of a campaign to grow the institution’s endowment. The ideal candidate will be team-oriented and have demonstrated success assisting donors in realizing their passions and interests through their philanthropic giving, preferably within higher education. The MGO is an important member of the Advancement team and reports to the Vice President of University Advancement.
Lasell University and University Advancement are committed to creating a campus and alumni community that recognizes diversity and intercultural competence as integral components of excellence. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area. Employees who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives help our community thrive, learn, and grow and they are key contributors to our strategic vision. Lasell practices a flexible work model and this position may be eligible to work partially or fully remotely. The MGO will be required to travel extensively and have the ability to be on campus as needed for events and donor meetings.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The statements below are intended to describe the principal duties of the person or persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. Lasell University has the right to add or change the job responsibilities, and eligibility for remote work, at any time.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned development professional who enjoys working in a fast paced, team environment. Being a well-organized, personable professional with strong initiative and great communication skills are also necessary for success. We believe in Lasell University and we're looking for a collaborative team member who shares our desire to work hard, have fun, and create new opportunities for donors to support this thriving institution.
- Qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individuals who have the interest and capacity to provide major gift support to Lasell;
- Creating and executing individualized plans that inspire and engage Lasell's supporters and potential donors to give generously and become more engaged with the institution;
- Working collaboratively across campus and the Advancement Team to understand and represent the goals of the capital campaign and the full range of activities at Lasell and to effectively articulate Lasell’s fundraising priorities in person and in writing;
- Traveling to meet with individuals, including traveling with and staffing the President and other employees on visits and events;
- Assisting in short and long term strategic planning for the Advancement Team;
- Maintaining regular communication with individuals and complete and timely records of contacts; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants with a bachelor's degree also need a minimum of three years of frontline fundraising experience. Applicants who do not have a bachelor's degree who have at least ten year of major gift fundraising experience, preferably in higher education, may still apply.
Other Requirements of the Job:
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse constituents including faculty, staff, students, community leaders and individuals of all backgrounds to honor a donor's philanthropic goals while advancing the institution's mission, goals, and values.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with soliciting and closing major gifts of $25,000 and higher, preferably in a campaign environment.
- Excellent oral, written skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to oversee a broad spectrum of activities concurrently; a proven track record in setting and achieving ambitious goals; and the ability to manage a multitude of tasks and meet required deadlines.
- Must work autonomously as well as interact effectively as a team member on myriad tasks and special events/projects.
- Ability to adapt one's communication styles, approaches, and skills in a manner that reflects an appreciation for, and commitment to, our increasingly diverse workplace and alumni community. Strong support for the sense of belonging and success of those from traditionally underserved populations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, proficiency with email, internet, and fundraising databases/CRM systems.
- This position requires extensive travel locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Must maintain the highest ethical standards for confidentiality.
- Experience with planned giving vehicles preferred.
- Will require some evening and weekend work.
Interested candidates should upload a letter of interest, resume and the information of three (3) references using the forms below. Review of resumes will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Lasell University is committed to equal opportunity in every aspect of hiring and employment. Lasell proactively reviews its policies and practices to assure that decisions with respect to every dimension of employment are made without regard to age, color of skin, disability, gender expression and identity, genetic predisposition, marital status, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, status as a victim of domestic violence, and all other protected groups and classes under Federal and State Laws and executive orders.