Associate Director of Communications
The Associate Director of Communications is a key member of the Division of University Advancement and will support the team’s efforts to communicate with alumni, friends, parents, and other key constituencies to encourage their financial support and engagement as Lasell University launches a comprehensive fundraising campaign to build the institution’s endowment. Under the direction of the Director of Communications and Stewardship, the Associate Director of Communications will share responsibility for producing campaign gift proposals; creating donor stewardship materials; and writing and editing campaign-themed content for the alumni/friends website, e-newsletters, social media, and other platforms.
Lasell University and University Advancement are committed to creating a campus and alumni community that recognizes diversity and intercultural competence as integral components of excellence. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area. Employees who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives help our community thrive, learn, and grow and they are key contributors to our strategic vision. Lasell practices a flexible work model and this position may be eligible to work partially or fully remotely.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The statements below are intended to describe the principal duties of the person or persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. Lasell University has the right to add or change the job responsibilities, and eligibility for remote work, at any time.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a skilled, versatile writer and editor with strong deadline skills who is able to produce a wide variety of content (gift proposals, stewardship reports, profiles, features, news stories, and general correspondence) for different platforms (online, print, video, and social media). This is an opportunity for an experienced communications generalist to utilize their writing, editing, and deadline skills to transition to advancement communications. We believe in Lasell University and we're looking for a collaborative team member who shares our desire to work hard, have fun, and create new opportunities to engage the Lasell community.
- Write profiles, features, gift stories, and other campaign-themed content that support University Advancement’s efforts to share news and information with the Lasell community in hopes of generating fundraising support and encouraging engagement.
- Conduct interviews with alumni, friends, and other constituents.
- Customize stories for different platforms: online, print, video, and social media.
Campaign Proposals (30%)
- Under the direction of the Director of Communications and Stewardship, draft gift proposals to support the fundraising campaign.
Donor Stewardship (15%)
- Draft thank you letters and other written and video correspondence to acknowledge financial support, highlight impact, and encourage campaign donors to continue to make gifts to the University.
- Solicit, review, and edit donor thank you letters and activity reports from students, faculty, and staff who receive support from campaign donors.
Content Distribution (15%)
- Ensure that the alumni/friends website; e-newsletters; and social media platforms feature fresh campaign-related content, including news, updates, fundraising progress, and event notifications.
Supervisory Responsibility: May help supervise part-time student workers under the direction of the Director of Communications and Stewardship.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred. Candidates without a bachelor’s degree are required to have a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience.
Other Requirements of the Job:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of communications experience, preferably in advancement communications or a related field.
- Skilled, versatile writer and editor capable of producing a wide variety of content (gift proposals, stewardship, profiles, features, news stories, and correspondence) on different platforms (online, print, video and social media).
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills, as well as the ability to multi-task and function with accuracy and adherence to deadlines.
- Ability to adapt communication styles, approaches, and skills in a manner that reflects an appreciation for, and commitment to, our increasingly diverse workplace and alumni community. Strong support for the sense of belonging and success of those from traditionally underserved populations.
- Sensitive to issues of confidentiality and customer service orientation.
- Flexibility and willingness to jump in where needed to support team goals.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- May require some evening and weekend work.
Interested candidates should upload a letter of interest, resume and the information of three (3) references using the forms below. Review of resumes will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Lasell University is committed to equal opportunity in every aspect of hiring and employment. Lasell proactively reviews its policies and practices to assure that decisions with respect to every dimension of employment are made without regard to age, color of skin, disability, gender expression and identity, genetic predisposition, marital status, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, status as a victim of domestic violence, and all other protected groups and classes under Federal and State Laws and executive orders.