SENIOR MANAGER OF FOUNDATION AND CORPORATE RELATIONS
Position Title: Senior Manager of Foundation and Corporate Relations
Department: Institutional Advancement
Reports to: Director of Philanthropy, Institutional Advancement
FLSA Status: Exempt (Professional)
Organizational Background: NYSCI brings the excitement and understanding of science to children, families and teachers by galvanizing their curiosity and providing creative, participatory ways to learn. Located in Queens, the most diverse county in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors annually. Since our founding at the 1964-65 World’s Fair, NYSCI has earned an international reputation as a provider of teacher professional development, classroom resources and curricula, out-of-school time programming and other educational initiatives. Our exhibitions, programs, and products are informed by strategies of engagement called Design-Make-Play (DMP). The defining characteristics of DMP — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate STEM learners.
NYSCI has approximately 76 full-time and over 73 part-time staff-members.
Departmental Role: Institutional Advancement team at NYSCI secures funding for educational research and initiatives, exhibits, events and the overall operation of the organization; raising awareness around NYSCI’s work and programmatic objectives.
Function: The Senior Manager of Foundation and Corporate Relations (“Senior Manager”) is an important member of the Institutional Advancement team that is responsible for securing funding and partners for NYSCI’s educational and community programs, exhibit development, museum operations, and research on STEM learning. The Institutional Advancement team is comprised of 6 full-time staff members who raise a total of more than $12 million annually for the organization. The Senior Manager will support our fundraising efforts with foundations and corporations to advance NYSCI’s portfolio of private funders and donors.
NYSCI is seeking an experienced, self-directed fundraising professional to conduct prospect research, write programmatic concepts, develop proposals and progress reports for major donors, foundations, corporations, and donor prospects. The Senior Manager will report to Director of Institutional Advancement, and work closely with the Chief Advancement Officer and President/CEO and in concert with program directors and other Institutional Advancement management to raise funds that support the work, mission, and institutional goals of NYSCI.
The ideal candidate will have highly developed writing skills and experience crafting persuasive proposals/reports that convey strategic concepts and make compelling arguments, as well as experience in foundation and corporate relations.
- Design, implement and manage a comprehensive and strategic fund development plan focused on expanding and enhancing corporate and foundation support for the institution.
- Manage a portfolio of corporate and foundation partnerships to solicit five- and six figure (and larger) philanthropic commitments that support NYSCI’s work at the museum, in the community, and around the world.
- Write compelling, original grant proposals that increase donor awareness of NYSCI’s mission & programs and encourages their engagement and financial support.
- Seek opportunities to enhance NYSCI’s mission and programs and help position the institution as a leader in the STEM education field.
- Support the CAO, Director of Institutional Advancement, and NYSCI leadership (Board, President and CEO and other cabinet members) to help advance the institution’s mission and vision.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to help shape programmatic goals, activities and budgets to ensure alignment with NYSCI’s mission and to facilitate positive long-term relationships with donors.
- Maintain a high quality stewardship process for active corporate and foundation prospects and donors, working closely with program staff to schedule and lead meetings, events and site visits, and ensure the timely delivery of quality reports and evaluations.
- Help create and build upon a culture of giving at NYSCI.
Relevant Experience and Skills:
- Commitment to the philosophy and mission of New York Hall of Science.
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated ability to develop proposals, reports, and accompanying financial materials. Strong ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral
- Experience in building a foundation and corporate relations program and proven ability to effectively inspire others.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate, solicit and close grants from foundations and corporations.
- Demonstrated donor research skills including familiarity and/or experience with RelPro, RelSci, iWave, Foundation Search, and/or other prospecting tools.
- Sophisticated understanding of the record keeping and stewardship systems to support and grow a successful donor relations program (Raiser’s Edge, MS Excel, Word & PowerPoint, Google Docs & Sheets, etc.).
- Experience working with teams (within department, cross departmental, and with external partners) with the ability to harness team creativity and translate into effective fundraising.
- Experience fundraising for a science center/natural history museum/children’s museum or STEM education institution is preferred but not required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: NONE
Education: BA required, MA preferred
Experience: A minimum of 7 years of foundation/corporate fundraising experience, with an emphasis on grant writing, record keeping and stewardship systems, and experience working within a complex organization.
Compensation: Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates should send
their resume with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include
job title in subject line. No phone calls, please.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug-free workplace
Apply for SENIOR MANAGER OF FOUNDATION AND CORPORATE RELATIONS
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly