Director of Development
The Director of Development’s primary responsibility is to lead the strategy of Boston Children’s Chorus’ fundraising activities. The ideal candidate is skilled at both strategy and execution. They have a demonstrable track record of success in the identification, prospecting, and stewardship of donors. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors, the Development Committee, and other internal contacts, the Director of Development provides thought and executional leadership in creating strategies to build a robust pipeline of philanthropic support for BCC’s activities. Currently, the Director of Development is responsible for raising $2M from a portfolio of individuals, corporations, and foundations. This person will be instrumental in the sustained growth of contributed income for the organization, as BCC approaches its 20th Anniversary.
- Design, manage, and execute all annual campaigns raising an aggregate of over $2M.
- Project manage Executive Director’s fundraising work, directing the use of their time where it will be most effective. Coordinate logistics with Executive Assistant.
- Oversee responsive, effective and strategic stewardship of all gifts, regardless of size.
- Set annual fundraising goals, budget, and events strategy, for the Development Department.
- Supervise the work of Development Department staff, currently Institutional Giving Manager, Development Coordinator, and ad-hoc external support. Design new roles to support the strategic and sustained growth of the organization’s Contributed Revenue.
- Provide regular reporting and analysis to Executive Director and Board of Directors to demonstrate progress toward development goals and identify areas of success and/or concern. Revise strategies as needed.
- Manage the execution of Major and Annual Giving campaigns. Oversee Corporate Giving Officer’s and Institutional Giving Manager’s progress to goal.
- Manage detailed schedule of multi-channel direct response campaigns for the Annual Giving program
- Design and manage, together with the Producing Team, annual benefit events for cultivation and stewardship of BCC’s donor base.
- Attend meetings and events hosted by business/affinity groups with the goal of increasing visibility and developing relationships for the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
- Dream big, while remaining realistic to what is attainable.
- Have meticulous attention to detail.
- Think critically, offering nuanced perspectives that advance progress to goals.
- Display a hunger for data and metrics. Understand how to act based on data: test, measure, (improve) repeat.
- Have the ability to clearly distill complex data from multiple sources into one cohesive plan.
- Have the distinct ability to translate goals and plans into discrete tasks that are simple to execute.
- Have the ability to manage up, down, and horizontally.
- Be thoughtful, caring, and invested in relationships.
SKILLS AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree, and a minimum of 7 years of experience in fundraising, CFRE preferred.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, excellent organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated track record of success in fundraising, preferably in social justice and/or performing arts institutions.
- Demonstrated success at fundraising campaigns, particularly, capital, and anniversary-driven campaigns.
- Ability to work well both independently and with others, exercising initiative, judgement, problem-solving and confidentiality as needed.
- Comfortable with deadline management and ability to work effectively and calmly within timelines and maintain multiple critical priorities.
- Familiarity with fundraising CRM databases. BCC uses Raiser’s Edge but is considering a migration in coming years.
- Excels at working collaboratively and strategically to develop compelling proposals and funding relationships.
- Strong initiative and enthusiasm, and willingness to pitch in whenever needed.
- Supervisory experience required.
Apply for Director of Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly