Executive Director, Catholic Charities Oregon
Sterling Search, Inc. has been exclusively retained to recruit for the new Executive Director for Catholic Charities of Oregon. The ideal candidate will be an active member of the Roman Catholic Church with a deep understanding and belief in the principles of Catholic social and moral teachings.
Since its founding in 1933, Catholic Charities of Oregon (CCO) has combatted poverty and injustice throughout western Oregon by providing professional, compassionate social services, housing, advocacy and financial empowerment to vulnerable and disadvantaged Oregonians. Serving more than 30,000 Oregonians annually, CCO embraces community members regardless of faith, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or condition in life.
CCO is the umbrella member agency for four other strong and well-regarded Catholic nonprofits: Catholic Community Services of Lane County, El Programa Hispano Católico, Caritas Community Housing Corporation, and Catholic Youth Organization/Camp Howard. CCO is also a member of Catholic Charities USA and of Caritas International, the global network of agencies that make up the charitable arm of the world-wide Catholic Church.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall success of the Agency. The Executive Director will build upon CCO’s years of success, realizing the organization’s vision, and achieving its goals for continued financial stability and community engagement. CCO is seeking a visionary, and an empowering and empathetic leader with demonstrated success leading multi-dimensional organizations.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall success of the agency.
- Lead a collaborative process with the Board of Directors and its committees, executing decisions effectively and ensuring that the Board of Directors and its committees are informed of critical developments in a timely and effective manner.
- Coordinate closely with the parishes and ministries of the Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon and with the Archbishop.
- Collaborate closely with the Board of Directors and staff to execute and expand upon the strategic plan and budget.
- Continue to support the development and cultivation of a strong Board of Directors, representative of the diverse community the agency serves.
- Assess agency needs, formulate agency proposals, and recommend programs and budget modifications to the Board of Directors.
- Oversee and execute programmatic excellence by establishing operational benchmarks and setting timelines to achieve strategic goals. Continually review and evaluate programs and report findings to the Board of Directors accordingly.
- Oversee affordable housing initiatives of CCO and its related housing entities, including overall responsibility for the management of over 800 units in the current housing portfolio and development of several new housing projects which are underway.
- Collaborate with the member agencies within the Archdiocese (Catholic Community Services of Lane County, El Programa Hispano Católico, Catholic Youth Organization/Camp Howard and Caritas Community Housing Corporation).
- Ensure that the organizational structure, policies, and practices reflect a commitment to Catholic Social Teachings, and creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment. Direct administrative personnel to ensure that the organization is effectively structured and staffed with skilled employees, with a focus on inclusion and a commitment to equity.
- Lead, motivate, manage, and develop staff’s passion for CCO, and foster an environment committed to continuous improvement.
- Oversee the implementation of an effective performance management system for all employees.
- Oversee a comprehensive fund development plan that identifies prospects and donors and enhances the short- and long-term diversified funding base. Play an integral role in developing prospects, cultivating major donors and funding agencies.
- Define and execute the strategy of effectively mobilizing volunteers in support of CCO’s programs.
- Represent the mission and ministries of CCO through relationship building and public speaking with varied government and community stakeholders, associations, and groups.
- Be a visible, visionary and influential leader in the community.
- Continuously assess community needs and identify partnership opportunities to promote programs uniquely suited to the mission.
- Ensure fiduciary responsibility, sound financial management, and financial accountability for contributions, income, and all other CCO assets. Implement and oversee the budgeting process.
- Oversee facilities, risk management and operational management. Advise and direct the agency’s management and staff in corporate compliance.
- Perform other activities as requested by the Board of CCO and/or the Archdiocese of Portland.
We are seeking candidates offering the following qualifications:
- Active member of the Roman Catholic Church and deep understanding and belief in the principles of Catholic social and moral teachings.
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years of senior management experience, with increasing levels of responsibility and management of a senior leadership team, with direct stewardship of Boards of Directors.
- Proven track record of management success with comparable P&L, planning, and operations responsibilities.
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to strengthen infrastructure, to inspire staff and the Board of Directors, and to develop effective programs.
- Proven track record of diversifying and growing funding streams.
- Excellent knowledge of fiscal management, budgeting, and cash flow management.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with an advanced degree preferred.
- A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.