President and Chief Development Officer
President and Chief Development Officer
San Jose, CA
About the Fistula Foundation
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent, and as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. We are in business to end this needless suffering. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in more than 20 countries.
Over the last decade, we have emerged as the global leader in fistula treatment, treating more women in more places than even the United Nations or the US government. We are raising five times as much money as we were a decade ago and treating 15 times as many women. But we are far from done and we need the help of a talented and driven development and communications leader to help us end fistula in a generation.
True to our Silicon Valley roots, Fistula Foundation is dynamic and growth-oriented. We pride ourselves on being run like a successful, financially disciplined for-profit organization; the big difference is our bottom line is not measured in earnings per share or profit, but in the number of women we can help. It also means that we “lean hard” into technology and the efficiencies it brings, enabling us to do more with fewer resources. Fistula Foundation is committed to delivering results against our mission and aspires to the values of the Effective Altruism movement.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $15M reserve, which includes a nearly $11.5M endowment. Our supporters love to share stories about how we have touched their lives, as seen in more than 700 five-star stories on GreatNonprofits.org. We have 15 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings, along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. And we have earned the recognition of high-profile leaders including Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
For more information, follow the below links:
President and Chief Development Officer is a new position to enable the Foundation’s continuing robust revenue growth. The role will provide comprehensive leadership of the Foundation’s fundraising and communications program to secure new financial resources from all donor segments, and particularly from individual donors across giving levels.
Fistula Foundation seeks a deeply experienced, ambitious, and globally minded development and communications professional to lead its fundraising and communications teams and partner with the CEO to advance the organization’s strategic growth.
Our ideal candidate will have proven senior leadership ability in a dynamic, fast-growing environment. Strong organizational skills, as well as creativity, are vital traits as well.
This position will work out of the San Jose office. We plan to introduce a hybrid work model this summer, such that the team will be in the office three days a week and have the option to work from home the other days.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
Key Responsibilities Team Leadership and Performance Management
- Drive and contribute to an overall performance management culture while upholding the Foundation’s cohesive and family-friendly environment
- Lead and manage the current San Jose office team, and mentor staff using collaborative approaches
- Promote a culture of high performance that values continuous learning, improvement, and a commitment to quality
- Lead both development and communications teams.
- Contribute to the senior leadership team’s overall decision-making and organizational planning
- Develop a robust fundraising and communications strategy for North American and global markets to fuel “In it to End” 10-year strategic plan.
- Advise on all donor programs and make recommendations for improvements
- Directly supervise the Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives, Senior Director of Philanthropy and Development Director.
- Lead, mentor, and support the Foundation’s strong team of development and communications professionals
- Introduce and generate enthusiasm for new actionable donor insights, including analysis of donor segments, key messaging, and calls to action
- Implement and impart new strategies and methods for donor stewardship, including effective approaches to relationship building, meaningful donor cultivation, and improving donor retention
- Optimize development operations to accurately record, maintain, and update donor and prospect records
- Partner with the leadership and communications teams to co-create and execute all aspects of integrated, multi-channel campaigns, from strategy and concept to copy approval and campaign performance analytics
- Oversee the effective management of events and external engagements, including educational and advocacy initiatives, exhibitions, panel discussions, and other related outreach or brand-raising activities
- In coordination with the CEO, attend North American and global events, functions, and initiatives relevant to and on behalf of the Foundation
The successful candidate will share enthusiasm for our mission and possess a strong fundraising and communications track record, proven senior leadership of diverse and dedicated teams, and an entrepreneurial drive. The following is a representative list of knowledge, skills, and abilities recommended for this role:
Required Skills and Experience
- Fundraising: Someone who has proven capability, and exceptional drive to raise new resources to support the ongoing mission of the organization. Proven ability to introduce and implement new and effective approaches to attract, steward, and retain donors
- Agile and Innovative: Ability to lead strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives with flexibility, adaptability, and creativity
- Exemplary Leadership: An intelligent, trustworthy leader who models personal and professional integrity
- Management: Strong organizational and time management skills and a meticulous attention to detail. Ability to inspire, motivate, and manage a growing team effectively
- Mentoring and Coaching: Committed to mentoring and coaching team members to promote professional development and quality performance
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. An inspirational spokesperson able to engage and influence a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Women: Demonstrated commitment to advancing the status of women
- Global: Understanding of global health development (and reproductive and sexual health), particularly in Africa
- Technical: Embraces technology and finds new tools to increase efficiency; sound working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred
- Leadership Experience: Proven ability to lead either an organization or a large marketing program to new levels of proven impact. We seek someone who can drive a group or organization to new heights and do it while building and motivating a team. We want an ambitious leader not a caretaker.
- Working experience: 15+ years’ professional experience working in the international nonprofit sector. Demonstrated success significantly growing fundraising and development programs in more than one organization. Evidenced professional progression in roles and responsibilities at or across each organization
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s a plus
- Travel: Ability to travel internationally one to two times a year, once the pandemic is over and it is safe to travel again
How We Invest In Our Team
Our team prioritizes gratitude, initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We share a deep passion and commitment to Fistula Foundation’s mission and work hard to help as many women as possible. Our colleagues have soft hearts and tough minds and celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We also encourage our teammates to lead happy and healthy lives inside and outside of work. We’re a dog-friendly office with bi-weekly fruit delivery, paid membership for YMCA or $50 to a gym membership of employee’s choosing, and a supportive office culture. In this spirit, the President and Chief Development Officer position will invest in leading our core team in the San Jose office and is not a role suitable for telecommuting or remote management.Our Benefits
The Fistula Foundation offers a generous, comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, and a significant vacation plan that begins accruing once onboard. We offer a competitive salary with the potential for performance-based bonuses and opportunities for advancement.
Fistula Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity among its applicant pool. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds, especially racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply for this position.Contact
Koya Partners has been engaged by the Fistula Foundation to advise in this pivotal leadership hire. Leading this search is Turner Delano, Vice President of Executive Search. If you are ready to submit your completed application, kindly submit both your compelling cover letter (addressing motivation and suitability per the above role specifications) and CV/resume here. Only completed applications, with both CV/resume and cover letter, will be presented to the client.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.