The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Internal Audit Specialist II
plans and executes and completes risk-based audits of IT,
financial, operational, and management controls. The Internal Audit
Specialist is responsible for process documentation, risk
assessment, gap and control deficiency identification, and
assistance with risk mitigation plans. The position is an integral
part of process and internal control assessment and improvement
throughout the organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, &
- Plan and conduct internal audits designed to test and identify
potential control weaknesses as well as areas for process
- Develop and maintain process narratives, process maps, and
internal control processes.
- Assess the design and operating effectiveness of internal
- Research identified issues and recommend improvements to
controls, processes, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare audit reports describing scope, tests performed, test
results, the nature of any control weaknesses and any related
- Provide practical and insightful recommendations for process
and control improvements.
- Collaborate with management to develop action plans to address
Internal Audit report findings and recommendations.
- Monitor Internal Audit recommendations and management action
plans to ensure timely completion.
- Establish and develop effective and collaborative working
relationships with all levels of WWP teammates.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Institute of Internal Audit
(IIA) standards and IT security and control frameworks, e.g., NIST
Cybersecurity Framework, COBIT, and ISO 27001.
- Demonstrated ability to assess whether critical data is
properly managed, secured, and protected within internal and
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to
develop and maintain professional relationships, and interact
effectively with diverse individuals to build effective working
relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to
respond to sensitive matters discreetly with diplomacy and
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to look beyond the standard audit plan and
identify risks and weaknesses.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects effectively
- Demonstrated ability to leverage technology to optimize the
results of Internal Audit objectives.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Effectively
complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Detailed knowledge of process mapping and gap analysis.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Visio,
- Proficiency using TeamMate+ auditing software.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility, be decisive,
influence others, and influence change.
- High energy level. Self-starter; willing to take
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and
business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work
- Three years of internal or external auditing experience.
- Two years of IT audit experience.
- Two years of non-profit internal auditing experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or information technology.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)