With assets of over $150M, and future gift expectancies of over
$110 million, the Catholic Community Foundation for Eastern South
Dakota (CCFESD) is one of the largest Catholic philanthropic
organizations in South Dakota. It was established as an independent
organization in 1987 and is a key partner with the Bishop of the
Diocese of Sioux Falls to advance the mission of the Church in
eastern South Dakota.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will share in the
responsibility of advancing the overall mission of the Foundation,
refine and implement effective policies and procedures in this
impactful environment, provide support to the Board of Directors,
provide oversight and coordination of the senior leadership team
and manage daily operations, actuating a culture of Catholic
stewardship. In addition, the position will guide the vision,
growth and management of the Catholic Family Sharing Appeal
conducted on behalf of the Diocese of Sioux Falls. The COO
reports directly to the CEO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help people grow in their understanding of living a Christian
stewardship way of life – seeing all as a gift from God and
responding in gratitude by generously sharing one’s gifts with
- Work in partnership with the bishop, the priests of the local
parishes and the leaders of the various Catholic ministries in the
Diocese of Sioux Falls.
- As Chief Operating Officer of the Catholic Community
Foundation, share in the responsibility for the overall advancement
of its mission: to raise, manage and distribute God’s gifts to
donor-directed ministries, actuating a culture of Catholic
- Provide oversight and coordination of the senior leadership
- Manage the daily operations of all of the Catholic Community
Foundation offices (currently in six locations in eastern SD),
including work space, logistics, computers, equipment, software,
database, etc.; including the management of administrative staff in
the main office.
- Facilitate the contracts for special projects that the CCFESD
is engaged in from time-to-time. This currently includes:
- The successful implementation of the Catholic Family Sharing
Appeal for the Diocese of Sioux Falls (it’s annual appeal),
including organization, timeline, logistics, gift processing,
vision and growth, etc. with close collaboration with the Diocese
of Sioux Falls Communications office in the creation of theme
messaging and marketing materials.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance in regards to all
financial aspects of CCFESD, including the expense budget,
accounting, audit, gift processing, financial reports (gifts,
dashboards, accounts, etc.) account management and grant and gift
- Oversee the contracted services: IT, HR, facilities,
- Establish, implement and oversee clear, effective, efficient
policies, procedures, processes – including protocols for project
management, meetings and internal communication – to ensure the
efficient operation of the CCFESD.
- Provide support for the CCFESD Board of Directors, produce
logistics and information for meetings
- Facilitate all “grant” distributions (advised funds,
undesignated funds, grant review process, special funds, etc.)
coordinating the activity with the grant review committee
- Oversee the administrative support of the CCFESD Board of
- Willingness and ability to effectively make known the Catholic
Church’s teachings through the varied ministry activities expected
of this position.
- Willingness and ability to act as an outstanding personal
witness to the Catholic faith and religion by living both one’s
professional and personal life in accordance with the doctrines and
moral teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, as embodied in the
various documents of the Roman Catholic Church, including, without
limitation, the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Exhibit strong operational skills while effective in strategic
- Ability to closely with administrative and other staff to
develop and implement effective procedures and policies.
- Strong team player, working in partnership with fellow
management team staff.
- Work in partnership with the Gift Planning team to coordinate
and strategize financial information to support the cultivation of
- Ability to recognize the need and secure professional input
when appropriate, i.e. auditors, accountants, Canon and Civil law
attorneys, financial planners, gift planners, etc.
- Effective communication skills, particularly when coordinating
activity with the pastors of the Diocese of Sioux Falls
- Minimum of five years operational management
- Management of a complex financial operation
- Non-profit foundation financial management
- Investing, accounting, operations
- Fundraising, particularly estate planning
- Other Elements:
- Preferred working knowledge of a charitable foundation.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An understanding and working knowledge of accounting, financial
software and all desktop applications included in the Microsoft
Office Suite, Raiser’s Edge/NXT and various web applications.
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented,
collaborative environment to think strategically, multitask, and
conform to shifting priorities, demands, and time lines.
- Proven communication skills, and ability to work effectively
with a wide range of individuals while maintaining strict
- Demonstration of welcoming, service, pastoral approach to all
constituents, understanding that this work is a ministry.
- Build positive relationships with constituents (including
priests, parish staffs, prospects, donors, sponsors, vendors,
participants, etc.) that build consensus, inspire and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective in building accurate and complete information with
regard to donors, prospects, and corresponding
- A good understanding of people and history of eastern South
- Ability to effectively participate in and support special
projects/priorities of the bishop as assigned
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter
to Twila Roman, Director of Human Resources via email at email@example.com or land
mail at 523 North Duluth Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57104.