Philanthropy Director -
Street Business School is an award-winning social enterprise
rapidly expanding to bring our entrepreneurial training to every
corner of the world. We are looking for an experienced,
charismatic, goal-oriented team player to lead our Philanthropy
Team. This role offers a range of experiences to help our
innovative, high-growth venture reach the next level of impact. The
Philanthropy Director will work closely with the CEO, sit on the
global leadership team, and lead Street Business School’s
fundraising and volunteer engagement efforts. We are looking for
someone who is passionate about our mission, thinks strategically
as well as tactically about fundraising initiatives, leads the
Philanthropy team with confidence and compassion, and is energized
by collaborating to maximize our impact.
Is this you or someone you know? Keep reading
or visit our
website to learn more about SBS!
About Street Business School
Street Business School helps women living in poverty to gain
knowledge and confidence, start small businesses, triple their
incomes and lift their families out of poverty. We have
engaged in this work since 2008 by delivering an award-winning
entrepreneurship training curriculum directly to women in Uganda.
In 2016, we started scaling through a social franchise model in
which we train other NGOs to deliver SBS program in their local
communities, allowing them to amplify their own impact.
SBS currently has more than 250 certified Lead Coaches from 120+
partner NGOs working in 25 countries who will collectively reach
more than 40,000 entrepreneurs and help lift 200,000 children out
of extreme poverty. During the COVID pandemic, we’ve deployed
a virtual training program to continue to reach NGO partners, and
an innovative phone training model to reach entrepreneurs directly.
We are obsessed with impact and creating measurable change:
- SBS graduates have gone from living on $1.35 a day on average,
to $4.19 a day two years later
- 89% of SBS graduates have at least one business two years after
SBS is a non-profit social enterprise with 35 global team
members. SBS has been recognized as the
Best Non-Profit of the Year by PeaceJam, been awarded the
Innovator Award from Segal Family Foundation, has been selected
as a Fellow at The Miller
Center, was a
finalist for the Kirby Prize, and has been featured in Entrepreneur
Barron’s and others.
To truly experience our work, check out this Virtual
Site Visit. SBS’ current goal is to help at least one million
women, and five million children sustainably rise out of extreme
Why you’ll feel good about working for Street Business
- You’ll be challenged, you’ll be inspired, and you’ll be proud
to see your spark igniting change around the world
- We create
transformational impact. By supporting the global expansion of
our Street Business School, your work will directly contribute to
- You’ll be surrounded and inspired by other employees with
passion, commitment, and drive. We love to help people reach their
- We support people to solve their own problems creating dignity,
ownership and self-sufficiency; increasing income not only reduces
poverty, but it also spurs investment in children, creates greater
self-esteem, increases bargaining power, and reduces domestic
What you’ll do for us:
This position is responsible for overseeing the strategy and
implementation of innovative multi-faceted fundraising efforts,
creating revenue, partnerships, and strategic positioning to
support the growth of Street Business School over time. This role
also sets the direction for and manages the activities of the
Philanthropy team. The Philanthropy Director collaborates with the
Communications team to position SBS as a thought leader through
publications, social media sites, partnerships, and networks in
order to enhance fund development opportunities and organizational
Fundraising (50%): Develop and implement the
yearly fundraising plan that supports current operations and
continues to fuel expansion efforts over time. Street Business
School has a $2M annual budget this year and plans are for it to
continue to grow. This leader will identify a new pool of high
potential funding partners, increase the number of donors year over
year. We work hard to secure multi-year pledges, so a significant
portion of these funds are currently pledged. We also have an
ongoing relationship with BeadforLife, our sister organization,
which has made a multi-year pledge to support SBS’ growth.
Philanthropy works closely with other teams to accomplish the goals
- Own the strategy and ultimate execution for all fundraising
campaigns, events, the annual appeal, grants, planned gifts, public
funding appeals and all other contributed income streams.
- Develop robust individual, foundation and corporate and
multilateral donor strategy including identification, cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship of partners.
- Diversify fundraising portfolio to include different revenue
streams (individuals, foundations, corporate and public sector) as
well as donors from different geographies (based in US, Europe,
Africa, and Asia).
- Serve in a highly relational role with current and potential
major donors, deploying the CEO as appropriate
- Identify the most strategic ways to cultivate new prospects,
steward existing partners, and share our expertise in the sector,
including how best to deploy the CEO.
- Lead two external fundraising campaigns a year, engaging public
phase level donors.
- Execute a recognition program that delights and connects our
supporters to the important members of our team and alumni through
stories, photos, and updates.
- Refine or create systems to support powerful fundraising
efforts, including maintaining the philanthropy data system (Donor
Leadership and Strategy (15%): We are looking
for a leader who can contribute to the organization’s strategy,
identifying opportunities to magnify the impact of our programs,
fundraising, and communications. This high-level role sits on our
global leadership team to devise strategy, innovate solutions, and
participate in our quarterly road map meetings.
- Be a key member of the global leadership team to guide
strategy, implementation and collaboration between teams.
- Take an active role in quarterly Roadmap planning and tracking
implementation outcomes and opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Global Program team, our SBS Uganda team,
Communications and Evaluation teams to advise on areas of
impact/positioning that would contribute to SBS's fund development,
strategic positioning, and expansion. When appropriate, work
cohesively with the global team to develop strategy and
External Relations (15%): Working with the
leadership and Communications teams, create robust opportunities to
authentically engage with our amazing community of current and
potential philanthropic supporters.
- Attend conferences or events where current or new philanthropic
partners are present.
- Develop opportunities to partner with our funding partners on
things such as: co-presenting at events, co-publishing articles,
soliciting input for strategic initiatives, presenting lunch and
learns, developing engagement activities with employees or
stakeholders, offering ambassador trips to Uganda, among other
- With CEO, look for opportunities to build strategic
partnerships with like-minded donors or organizations to enhance
the image, visibility, and credibility of SBS
- Contribute to the sector influencing effort, together with the
Philanthropy Team Management (10%): As a
people manager, this role will directly manage all Philanthropy
staff and is responsible for the team’s work output in addition to
providing management direction, support, and recommendations for
staffing or work process changes.
- Directly manage the Philanthropy team, including identification
of staffing needs, hiring, coaching, performance management, and
other people management functions
- Oversee budgeting, reporting, and analysis on a regular
Volunteer Management (10%): Be the key liaison
with SBS volunteers.
- Support and engage with the Advisory Committee on a regular
basis, working closely with the Co-Chairs to determine ways to
engage with the Advisory Committee, sourcing ways the AC can
support other teams, and identifying new members as
- Engage with the Board of Directors in their role as fundraisers
for the organization, including staffing the Fund Development
What you’ll need to do this job:
- At least 8-10 years of development experience with increasing
responsibility and tangible positive results.
- Experience managing direct reports.
- A passion for staying up to date with best practice in the
development world and putting that knowledge into use.
- Experience with prospect donor research, stewardship and
solicitation, and total integrity with confidential
- Demonstrated fluency with authentic relationship
- Outstanding writing and communications skills and the ability
to represent the organization in a variety of settings.
- Positive attitude and energy and the ability to work
collaboratively across teams and departments with people from a
variety of backgrounds; demonstrated ability to work well with
diverse stakeholders, from entry-level staff, management team and
Board members, individual donors and sector representatives.
- A high level of focus and goal-oriented drive.
- Ability to set and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong project management experience that drives efficiency and
excellence in all aspects of work, including proven experience
managing people to help them be their best.
- Efficiency with Microsoft Office required; DonorPerfect,
Quickbooks and/or Salesforce experience desired
- Experience with government funding helpful.
- This role could include, but does not require, presenting or
speaking at conferences and events on behalf of SBS, so let us know
if this is in your wheelhouse.
- A personal interest and commitment to Street Business School’s
mission of helping women living in poverty transform their
- Background in non-profit or women’s empowerment program is
SBS believes our team is better and stronger with a diversity of
perspectives and experiences. We welcome applications from
candidates historically underrepresented in the nonprofit sector,
especially within the international development sector. If you do
not meet all stated qualifications but feel you can succeed within
this role, please consider applying for this position, particularly
if you are a candidate with an identity that is marginalized within
the United States. SBS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
and is committed to providing employees with a work environment
free of discrimination and harassment.
This is a full-time position with an annual salary range of $90
- $130k annually depending on experience and location. We offer
excellent benefits, including flexibility for remote work, health
care, dental and vision benefits, participation in a retirement
savings plan, paid vacation, sick time, and holidays, including an
organization-wide holiday closure.