POSITION TITLE: Director of Philanthropic
Outreach, Western Division
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Direct supervision
of Divisional Development Operations Coordinator; dotted line
supervision of Regional Development Directors within the
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Western
LOCATIONS: Los Angeles, California
GRADE: J, exempt, PSA-eligible
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League)
is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913
in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry,
its essential mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to
stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and
fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of
hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when
acts of antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism,
delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s
ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers
from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an
accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and
nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015.
He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency.
Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading
its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and
pioneering new horizons.
The Director of Philanthropic Outreach (DPO) oversees major
gifts, stewardship and pipeline cultivation strategies within ADL’s
Western Division, which includes multiple ADL offices covering
multiple states. The DPO is the lead philanthropic partner of the
Division Vice President (DVP), working strategically to ensure the
success of the Western Division’s fundraising strategies and goals.
This role works directly with each of the Western Division’s
Regional offices (both Regional Directors and Directors of
Development) to build and manage a holistic portfolio of ADL’s top
current and prospective individual, foundation and corporate donors
for the Western Division. The DPO provides leadership and coaching
to drive divisional and regional development efforts, and
collaborates with the CSC (national) development, stewardship and
institutional giving teams to ensure the divisional team members
have the resources, tools and knowledge to cultivate, obtain and
steward major gifts. The DPO provides a strong voice for their
regional development teams at the top level, finding synergies,
providing coaching, and creating a culture of communication,
resilience, empathy and accountability.
ADL Divisions are set geographic areas that include multiple ADL
offices and usually involving multiple states. ADL’s Division
structure includes 25 regions that are grouped into five geographic
areas – Northeast, Mid-Atlantic/Midwest, South, Central and West.
The Western Division includes eight (8) ADL Regions, covering the
states of Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah
and Washington, as well as Alaska and Montana.
- With team members in both the Division/Regions and at CSC,
design and implement a major gifts strategy aimed at retaining and
securing new five-, six- and seven-figure annual gifts to ADL
within the Western Division.
- Oversee the Western Division’s renewal and prospect portfolios,
ensuring that development professionals in the Western Division
have robust and balanced portfolios, including clear plans of
action to close gifts.
- Set and achieve annual fundraising goals for the Western
Division’s major gifts portfolio and provide guidance and coaching
to set and achieve the Western Division’s fundraising
- Personally solicit gifts of six figures or more from current
and prospective donors.
- Support senior Western Division/Regional staff, CSC leadership
and volunteer solicitors in managing and stewarding key
relationships with major gifts donors and prospective donors.
- Support capital campaign activity and participate in select
- Partner with team members in both Western Division/Regions and
at CSC to build and expand a strong major gifts pipeline across the
- Drive moves management activity across the Western Division and
ensure identified donors and prospects are moving up the
- Guide Regional development professionals to develop appropriate
and effective cultivation and solicitation activity, reviewing and
advising on proposals, and managing collaborative and individual
- Provide coaching on fundraising strategies and best practices
and inform fundraising and operations training needs for both the
Western Division and the organization.
- Be a strong model for and advocate of the use of Salesforce and
its aligned systems to maintain accurate records of all donor
interactions, individuals’ programmatic interests, and strategies
for donor engagement and solicitation. Hold all staff accountable
for the same.
- Supervise junior divisional staff members, and ensure their
coordinated, shared support for fundraising efforts across the
Western Division’s regions.
- Collaborate and partner across the organization in the pursuit
of fundraising excellence and to achieve ADL’s overall fundraising
- Other tasks and duties reasonably related to job
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the
ability to effectively present information to donors, board
members, and staff is required.
- Highly organized with the ability to lead in a complex,
fast-moving environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity
and solutions is essential.
- Experience working with a diverse team, providing strategic
direction and delivering results is required.
- Ability to lead and drive results of employees working in
remote work situations is essential.
- A self-motivated team player with an energetic, flexible, and
creative approach is needed.
- Sound judgment and sensitivity to highly confidential
information is essential.
- Excellent communication and coalition-building skills with an
ability to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal
and external stakeholders.
- Technical competence required. Working familiarity and comfort
in database systems, reporting, and analysis essential. Reasonable
level of experience using Microsoft Office software, including
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and comfort learning and utilizing new
technology is absolutely essential.
- Creativity, flexibility, and the ability to work with some
ambiguity is essential.
- Comfort working with colleagues remotely across the country is
- A passion for the mission of ADL.
- Minimum of 10 years of senior development experience in a
sophisticated fundraising organization with significant experience
cultivating and soliciting major gifts required.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing teams and
partnering with executive and volunteer leadership essential.
- A high level of knowledge and understanding of fundraising best
practices and the philanthropic landscape.
- Previous work in a national organization with multiple
satellite offices a plus.
- Experience soliciting planned, estate and blended gifts.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Advanced Degree preferred
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends when
- Ability to travel within the Western Division as needed for
donor meetings and events essential.
The information in this job description indicates the
general nature and level of work expected of employees in this
classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted
as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to
this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment
shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the
basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex,
sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or
mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in
violation of any applicable Federal, state or local