The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a gender
equity advocacy organization, is one of the nation’s leading voices
promoting equity and education for women and girls and empowering
them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a
group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots
network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local
branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across
the United States.
Summary Description: The Program Officer,
Fellowships and Grants manages, develops and assesses an assigned
portfolio of AAUW fellowships/grants programs and coordinates
activities in collaboration with fellowships staff and other AAUW
departments. They provide oversight and supervision to a Program
Assistant in the execution of these duties.
- Oversee the annual management and implementation of all
processes and related functions for assigned fellowship/grants
- Manage the recruitment of fellowship applicants and targeted
fields; collaborate with Communications Team on the development and
dissemination of online promotional information.
- Develop annual online fellowships and grants application
materials and engage with contractor management team.
- Manage and program selection and review panels, including
recruitment and appointment of highly qualified panelists, develop
orientation materials and plan online review and selection
- Lead administration of assigned programs including awards
notification, stipend disbursement, contracts execution and mid-
and final-year report submission.
- Assist in the development of budgets for assigned programs.
Manage twice-yearly stipend expenditures in collaboration with the
- Manage the day-to-day engagement and correspondence with
awardees regarding policy, academic or contract issues.
- Establish program timelines and plans to meet annual goals and
objectives for program implementation.
- Prepare reports on policy issues and program updates for
department and organizational needs.
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally with the
fellowships & grants team, AAUW colleagues and members to build
relationships and deliver exceptional value to awardees, donors and
- Manage the work of the Program Assistant.
- Perform other related/comparable duties as required and
- Minimum BA/BS degree.
- Minimum 4-5 years directly applicable work experience in
program/grants management, and/or fellowships/award
- Demonstrated knowledge of fellowships/award administration,
including current best practices in online management, recruitment,
review and selection.
- Demonstrated skills in budget monitoring and financial
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and staff development.
- Proficiency with technology and databases including but not
limited to Office 365, Zoom, Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce.
- Knowledge of higher education equity issues and education
- Demonstrated ability to assess and implement successful
strategies to build and improve program efficiency and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with
exceptional attention to details.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment
to inclusion and equity.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW’s mission, goals and
Compensation & Location
The salary range for this position is $60,000 - $70,000
contingent on relevant experience. During COVID, this position can
be worked remotely with DC, MD, or VA as the tax withholding state
of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the incumbent will
be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington,
Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter
describing your interest and qualifications to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate position title, Program Officer,
Fellowships and Grants, in subject line.