Location: This position is usually located in
our headquarters in New York City, but is remote while offices
remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Classification: Full-time, 40 hours per week |
Work Authorization: Applicants must be
authorized to work in the United States.
For more than 30 years, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) has
used science and medicine to document and call attention to mass
atrocities and severe human rights violations. We investigate and
document abuses, give voice to survivors and witnesses, and plant
seeds of reconciliation by ensuring that perpetrators can be held
accountable for their crimes. PHR uses our core disciplines –
science, medicine, forensics, and public health – to inform our
research and investigations and to strengthen the skills of
frontline human rights defenders. We work closely with hundreds of
partners around the world, using facts to wage effective advocacy
and campaigning and providing critical scientific evidence so that
survivors can seek justice.
PHR, which shared in the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for our work to
end the scourge of landmines, is poised for even greater growth and
impact. As part of that strategy, we are seeking committed
activists with a passion for human rights.
Physicians for Human Rights seeks an experienced digital
campaign manager to spearhead PHR’s digital direct response work
and to support PHR’s overall digital portfolio. Reporting to the
digital director, the digital campaign manager is responsible for
developing strategies and managing implementation of multi-channel
digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns – including email,
social, and web – to substantially grow and steward the supporter
base for PHR and its unique role in the human rights field.
The manager will be a key member PHR’s digital team, and work in
partnership with PHR’s external marketing consultants and
cross-functionally with PHR’s internal communications, advocacy,
and development team members.
Reports to: Interim Director of Communications
& Digital Director
- Plan and implement a comprehensive digital direct response
program to grow annual support from donors with a giving level
below $5,000, including sustainer giving.
- Collaborate with marketing agency to manage comprehensive
digital direct response program – including donor cultivation,
renewal, and solicitation campaigns, monthly giving, donor
acquisition and stewardship, and digital advocacy efforts.
- Liaison with the development team to align digital campaigns
with direct mail fundraising efforts.
- Lead a cross-departmental team effort to develop and execute
online campaigns, online advertising, and online/offline grassroots
strategies to build a constituent base for advocacy and fundraising
- Create and execute donor conversion, retention, and upgrade
- In collaboration with marketing agency, develop email
strategies, creative direction, and lead implementation of email
campaigns to drive fundraising and advocacy consistent with PHR’s
- Provide programmatic information and materials to marketing
agency and oversee final product that is produced for digital
communications related to fundraising, advocacy, and other
- Work closely with communications and advocacy teams to support
an overall digital strategy for expanding PHR’s network of medical
- Manage relationships with outside vendors and marketing agency,
including those focused on online fundraising, marketing, and
advocacy efforts to ensure they are aligned with organizational
objectives and agreed-upon deliverables.
- Develop a framework for tracking, evaluating, and optimizing
campaign performance and engagement metrics and analyze and
incorporate data into recommendations and plans.
- Compile and analyze data analytics to support decision making
in real time and for longer- term sustainable growth along the
donor pathway, including list growth and engagement as well as
- Identify strategy for use of donor segments and suppression
lists to retain and upgrade donors.
- Focus on current best practices and new emerging fundraising
and advocacy technologies, including online giving functionality,
grassroots advocacy, email solicitations, social media, and
- Provide input to income and expense budgets; review and approve
- Other duties, tasks, and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- Five to seven years of experience in digital campaign planning
and execution; rapid response; email marketing; list building;
fundraising; mobilizing “influencers” via social; writing and
editing; and using data for decision making.
- Hands-on experience and success in planning, developing, and
delivering successful digital fundraising and/or advocacy campaigns
and project management in a nonprofit environment.
- Experience using online tools, processes, and techniques for
donor development, engagement, recruitment, retention, conversions,
and list building.
- Experience managing relationships with vendors and success
working in cross-departmental teams.
- Prior experience with CRMs, donation processing platforms,
advocacy, and email marketing platforms. PHR’s ecosystem includes
Salesforce, Springboard, WordPress, DotDigital. Experience in one
or more of these platforms is preferred.
- Passionate about building and mobilizing a movement of health
professionals and others in support of human rights.
- Enjoys collaboration and thrives in a fast-paced team- and
matrix-oriented working environment.
- Data-driven decision-maker who uses analytics and data to guide
strategic decisions that align with digital goals, objectives, and
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to message
quickly and effectively, and in a manner that reflects a commitment
to diversity, equity, and inclusion values.
- Strong project management skills.
- Passionate about learning new skills.
- Networked in the nonprofit digital world of fundraising and
- Proactive, flexible, creative, and prepared for hard work.
- Excellent judgement and resourcefulness.
- Energetic self-starter with outstanding organizational skills,
attention to detail, and follow through, and proven ability to work
effectively under pressure.
- Fluency in English is a requirement, additional languages a
Salary and Benefits
PHR offers competitive compensation, with options for medical,
dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan,
and generous vacation. PHR observes the last week of the calendar
year as an opportunity to refresh, with all offices
More information about Physicians for Human Rights can be found
Please combine your cover letter and resume as a pdf or a word
document and send it to email@example.com. Indicate your “Last
Name/First Name, Digital Campaign Manager” in the email
A complete application consists of:
- a) A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you are qualified
for/interested in the Digital Campaign Manager position
- b) Resume/curriculum vitae.
Only complete applications in the format requested sent to
firstname.lastname@example.org will be considered.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer
committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its
work and staff. We recruit and hire without discrimination based on
race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital
status, veteran status, age, or any other protection afforded by