POSITION TITLE: Development
REPORTS TO: Director of Impact Giving
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
LOCATION: New York, NY (CSC)
Grade/Class: E, exempt,
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League)
is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913
in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry,
its essential mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to
stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and
fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of
hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when
acts of antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism,
delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s
ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers
from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an
accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and
nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015.
He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency.
Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading
its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and
pioneering new horizons.
The Growth Division at ADL includes the
Development, Development Operations, Training and End-User Support,
Reporting & Data Analysis, and Regional Operations
teams. As a member of this key team at ADL, the Development
Associate provides strategic and operational support to help
meet the goals of a fast-paced Development department. This
versatile utility player with ADL’s Development team is a
strategist, a project manager and a problem solver who does not shy
away from a challenge, large or small. Areas of focus include the
development, planning, and execution of targeted cultivation and
fundraising events, direct, hands-on management for Growth and
Capital Campaign Committee meetings, and prepping Regional team
members and ADL leadership for high-level donor meetings. The
Development Associate executes daily tasks on behalf of the VP of
Strategic Partnerships and Senior Vice President of Growth, and
works closely with team members across the national Development
department as well as with members of ADL’s 25 regional
- Support the donor portfolio for senior members of the Growth
Division, including the CEO, Senior Vice President of Growth and
Vice President of Strategic Partnerships, and Director of Impact
Giving by developing strategy and preparing materials for donor
meetings, including briefing memos, research profiles, and
suggested talking points.
- Draft donor communications prior to and following meetings, as
directed by Director.
- Conduct research on key prospective donors to help inform
effective donor strategies.
- Oversee the development and implementation of fundraising and
donor cultivation events in the New York tri-state area and select
regions across the country. Responsibilities include, but are not
limited to, developing invitations, managing guest lists, and
crafting key materials such as a run of show, talking points,
briefing memos, attendee bios and ADL collateral. Manage all event
comms and follow up.
- Communicate and coordinate donor meetings/visits with regional
development staff. Maintain complex calendars and/or schedules of
events as directed by Director.
- Support CSC Capital Campaign outreach including organizing
committee meetings, preparing agendas and handling minutes and
- Utilize Salesforce to maintain accurate records of all donor
interactions, individuals’ programmatic interests, biographical
information, and strategies for donor engagement and
- Work with colleagues on donor communications in all forms and
assist in prepping solicitations.
- Assist the Development team in managing major initiatives,
projects and events, as needed.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by communicating in a
manner that fosters teamwork with colleagues.
- Other tasks and duties reasonably related to job
- Strong project management, organizational and administrative
- Exceptional interpersonal, presentation and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust workflow
- Ability to effectively handle a variety of matters
independently in a professional, polished and mature manner with
tact, diplomacy and appropriate judgement (required).
- Confidence and competence in working directly with executives
and high-net-worth individuals strongly preferred.
- Advanced fluency in Excel and PowerPoint, strong technology
skills and the ability and willingness to learn new technologies as
they emerge (required).
- Familiarity with database management software (preferred).
- Proactive mindset and the ability to determine course of action
- Effective in building strong working relationships and
collaborating across the organization to problem-solve
- Ability to work efficiently in a virtual environment with
off-site colleagues (required).
- A problem-solving focus, an astute attention to detail, and the
ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive
- Excellent customer service and communications skills
- 5 years of experience in fundraising with events management
- 2-3 years major donor or donor stewardship development
experience or experience engaging and stewarding HNW individuals in
some capacity strongly preferred.
- Experience preparing polished talking points, presentations,
and other materials preferred.
- Previous work in a national organization with multiple
satellite offices a plus.
The information in this job description indicates the
general nature and level of work expected of employees in this
classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted
as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to
this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment
shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the
basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex,
sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or
mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in
violation of any applicable Federal, state or local