TITLE: Manager, Capital Campaign and Major
REPORTS TO: Director of Impact Giving
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
GRADE/CLASS: Grade F, Exempt,
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League) is the leading anti-hate
organization in the world. Founded in 1913 in response to an
escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its essential
mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to stop the
defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair
treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of hate
with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when acts of
antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism,
delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s
ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers
from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an
accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and
nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015.
He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency.
Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading
its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and
pioneering new horizons.
Focused on managing ADL’s Capital Campaign, ADL / For Good, and
the major/principal gifts program this role is an essential part of
the $100 million Campaign and our principal/major gifts program.
This role focuses on developing proposals, financial tracking of
donations, acknowledgment process, pipeline management,
stewardship, cultivation, Campaign Committee management and
assisting in gift solicitation. The ideal candidate will be
committed to advancing the goals and mission of ADL and will have
prior Capital Campaign experience. Emphasis will be placed on all
aspects of Capital Campaign management and soliciting
major/principal gifts in collaboration with ADL national and
The successful candidate enjoys being part of a collaborative
and energetic team and thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced
organization. The position reports to ADL’s Director of Impact
Giving and is a part of ADL’s National Growth team and works
collaboratively with regional colleagues.
- Develop Capital Campaign and principal/major gifts proposals by
targeting donors and pipeline, potential for giving and
- Manage campaign revenue and budget and develop campaign
tracking systems and reports. Including documentation to systems
- Execute moves management for all donors and prospects in
portfolio and Capital Campaign.
- Design and execute customized cultivation and solicitation
strategies for Capital Campaign and major/principal gift donors,
matching the objectives of the organization and donor/prospect
interests. Ensure necessary follow-up and stewardship.
- Develop and execute a campaign calendar to ensure the
achievement of key milestones.
- Assure that Campaign Communications such as financial updates,
acknowledgments, follow-up letters, and newsletters as well as
cultivation event activity, including Campaign Committee meetings,
plans are met.
- Identify and cultivate major/principal gift and planned giving
donors including participating in strategic planning with senior
national and regional staff and philanthropic partners.
- Conduct face-to-face solicitations and secure new gifts from
individuals capable of making major/principal level
- Ensure donor and prospect strategies and communications are
updated in ADL’s Salesforce database, in accordance with policies
- Initiate and conduct donor research. Create concise and
accurate briefings and research profiles using an array of data
(i.e. Salesforce, biographical information, philanthropic history,
- Meet quarterly benchmarks and goals based on activity with
Capital Campaign, prospects/donors and annual fundraising
- Assist the Development team on special assignments/projects to
ensure long-term donor engagement and retention and support the
successful completion of various fundraising and issue-based
- Maintain an active, current body of knowledge of ADL and its
mission, programs, activities, and fundraising priorities.
- Stay abreast of current events and philanthropic trends.
- Uphold excellence in both written and verbal
- Dedication to superior customer service with an emphasis on
- Any other duties deemed important for this position.
- Positive attitude and desire to learn and grow as part of a
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
skills required with an emphasis on writing.
- Proven ability to manage a complex revenue/budget essential,
including tracking and reporting progress to organizational and
- Project management leadership is essential.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, with a
demonstrated track record of establishing effective systems that
foster collaboration and improve efficiency required.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability and direct
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a
fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and tight
- Ability to managewith highly sensitive, confidential
information using excellent judgment at all times essential.
- Demonstrated analytical skills related to complex donor
research and information.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (i.e. Word, Excel and
Outlook), donor research platforms (i.e. Wealth Engine, Lexus
Nexus) and database management software (Salesforce) required.
- 5 to 7 years of fundraising and development experience
- Demonstrated success in a capital campaign environment, donor
stewardship and assisting in closing major/principal gifts
- Applied experience managing all financial aspects of Capital
Campaign including revenue, budgets, reporting tools, and best
practices for tracking campaign and major/principal gifts moves
- Project management experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to write proposals and all donor communications
- Previous use of Salesforce CRM preferred.
- Strong familiarity with philanthropic communities in major
markets (NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, Dallas) is preferred, but not
- Experience working in a national organization with an affiliate
or chapter structure a plus.
- BA degree or equivalent work experience.
- Additional hours are required to attend meetings, fundraising
and programmatic events.
The information in this job description indicates the
general nature and level of work expected of employees in this
classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted
as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to
this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment
shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the
basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex,
sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or
mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in
violation of any applicable Federal, state or local