Humanity United (HU) is seeking a highly self-motivated,
creative, adaptable, and organized Associate, who will serve as an
integral member of HU’s Strategy, Learning and Impact department.
We’re looking to add a new team member who has passion for the
field of learning and measurement in human rights or international
The successful candidate will bring excellent organizational and
project management skills; experience with research and evaluation
(particularly emergent and adaptive approaches); the ability to
synthesize information from a variety of sources; strong writing
and communication skills; a learning mindset; and will be a
creative problem solver who can work independently and as part of a
This is a full-time, exempt role, reporting to the Director of
Strategy, Learning and Impact. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all HU
staff are working from home. As our offices reopen, returns will be
on an opt-in and gradual basis. During 2021, this role can be based
anywhere in the US. From January 2022 onwards, we are open to
either a San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC location.
Core Job Responsibilities
Support learning and impact processes for portfolio
- Support research needs both on monitoring, evaluation &
learning (MEL) & program specific data & metrics.
- Manage grants administration and provide support for a grantee
capacity building fund.
- Support design of improvements to grantee-level data collection
process and system.
- Support on survey management, execution & analysis.
- Support functional/operational team learning processes and
Support SL&I team learning, operations and
- Draft team’s org-wide newsletter and communications.
- Manage subscriptions (e.g. MURAL & Kumu) and support
development of facilitation tools & templates (e.g. Mural UI
and foresight materials)
- Maintain a knowledge management platform for SL&I
- Support the team’s scheduling, investments and contracting
- Contribute to org-wide Knowledge Management system
- Support the release of strategy practice toolkit editions,
including editing and project management with contractor.
- Support team and internal client meetings by reporting out on
workstreams and capturing key take-aways.
- Manage timeline of team’s deliverables and approval processes
for key projects.
- Help plan and manage logistics for team retreats and brownbag
- Support team preparation for Board meetings.
Support cross-organizational learning
- Manages planning, implementation, logistics and follow up for
HU’s annual org-wide learning meetings.
- Partner with communications team to integrate accurate and
compelling data into key communications messages.
- Research new approaches and tools and engage academic and
research partners in order to help HU continually learn and benefit
from the newest evidence. Attend relevant conferences and bring
learnings back to the organization.
- Contribute to developing and implementing strategy, evaluation
& learning training for staff.
- Promote a culture of reflection, learning, and data-based
- Reflect HU’s approach to strategy, learning, and impact with
the broader Omidyar Group of organizations. Participate in The
Omidyar Group’s Learning & Impact practitioner group.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Desired knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Commitment to HU’s mission and core values (including
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice).
- Excellent project management skills.
- “Roll up the sleeves” approach, deep sense of curiosity, and a
willingness to learn.
- Experience with social impact measurement, with demonstrated
experience in both quantitative and qualitative research methods,
tool design, validation, and data analysis (Bonus if this
experience occurred in the human rights, peacebuilding, human
trafficking, labor migration, or comparable fields.)
- Grantmaking exposure, ideally with experience in grants
- Strong problem-solving skills combined with the ability to
adapt in response to opportunities and challenges.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, relationship-building
and influencing skills (i.e. ability to listen as well as persuade)
to enable effective collaboration across multiple functions and
- High tolerance for ambiguity, and ability to adapt to changing
priorities, strategic frameworks and definitions of success.
- The right to work in the United States
It’s a bonus if you bring:
- Client service attitude
- Direct lived experience of the issues we work on.
- Exposure to systems thinking and complexity science
- Experience working in a distributed team
- Prior work in a non-profit or philanthropic environment
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as
needed (10% - 20%), once safe to travel post-COVID.
We encourage applicants lacking formal or direct experience
to describe how their background has served as preparation for this
Humanity United believes that diversity, equity and inclusion
make us more successful in our work, and we are able to grow and
learn better together when our team is diverse and representative
of the communities we serve. We are actively engaged in a formal
DEIJ journey as an organization, and expect that prospective
employees are enthusiastic about advancing these goals.
We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect
where equal employment opportunities are available to all
applicants and staff. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the
unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education,
culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression,
nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color,
class, religion, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital
status and any other characteristics protected by law. We
strongly encourage applications from people with historically
under-represented identities or who are members of marginalized
HU is proud to offer an inclusive and comprehensive benefits
package to accommodate a diversity of needs and life circumstances
and to accommodate staff at all life stages with flexible and
In addition to full benefits, this role offers a competitive
salary which we are happy to share on request. We will also share
with all first-round interview candidates. We will not ask what you
are currently earning or for any other details of your salary
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided
reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or
interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to fully
access our benefits of employment. Please contact us to request
accommodation, or describe your needs in your application.
About Humanity United
Humanity United (HU) is a foundation dedicated to cultivating
the conditions for enduring freedom and peace. We support and build
efforts to transform the systems that contribute to human
exploitation and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group,
a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own
approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social
We encourage all candidates to learn about our organizational
values on our