Reports to: Managing Director, Foundation
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full
Minimum compensation: $75,000/$90,000
American Progress seeks a self-starter with strong communication
skills and the ability to multitask to join a growing team with a
successful record of fundraising for the position of Associate
Director or Director of Foundation Relations. This individual will
be responsible for a grant-seeking portfolio that generates $7
million to $15 million in annual revenue for American Progress.
They will pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for
foundation funding and will help produce written communications for
the organization. Reporting to the Managing Director of Foundation
Relations, the Associate Director/Director will work closely with
the Executive team and senior American Progress staff. They will
drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase
the amount of support from the organization’s constituency over the
next several years.
This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented,
and well-organized development professional who is committed to a
progressive policy agenda and American Progress’ mission “to
improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive
ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the
aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the
country.” In addition, this position will support American
Progress’ five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The Foundation Relations team works with program staff at both
the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the
Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization,
to make the case for support for various programs; conduct ongoing
research to identify foundation funding opportunities; collaborate
on strategies for approaching foundation prospects; and track all
foundation activity and deadlines.
- Independently generate $7 million to $15 million in revenue on
an annual basis.
- Design and implement strategies and activities to increase
support from existing foundation funders and identify new potential
foundation support, working closely with the Managing Director,
executive and senior leadership to drive fundraising strategy.
- Lead cross-functional collaborations to secure less restricted,
more flexible support for multidisciplinary projects led by members
of the Executive team and senior leadership team; ensure
high-quality stewardship of these collaborative grants by
facilitating intraorganizational planning and coordination to meet
- Research the giving interests of foundation funders and stay
abreast of philanthropic trends and recent foundation giving.
- Identify new opportunities for funding that align with American
Progress’ programs through prospect research, working closely with
the Foundation Relations Coordinator.
- Prepare foundation materials including but not limited to
proposals, letters of inquiry, grant reports, agreements, emails,
presentations, and acknowledgment letters. This includes drafting
original copy, editing, and formatting as needed.
- Lead the planning and execution of meetings with foundation
staff, research and draft briefings for executive leadership in
advance of foundation meetings, and prepare senior staff for
foundation meetings and phone calls.
- Partner with American Progress program staff to cultivate
relationships with both current and prospective donors and support
foundation fundraising on the part of American Progress’ Executive
- Track grant requirements and deadlines as well as contact
between American Progress and funders.
- Liaise with program and finance staff to monitor grant
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed to move forward
American Progress’ foundation relations portfolio.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Four to seven years of foundation relations experience or
comparable work with foundations, preferably at a nonprofit
advocacy or policy-oriented organization for the Associate
Director. At least eight years of experience for the Director role
- Demonstrated success managing a seven-figure portfolio of
foundation donors and managing relationships with both program
officers and internal colleagues to create the conditions for
- Demonstrated success in soliciting and renewing contributions
from foundations by articulating a compelling case for support
through multiple communication tools, including written grant
proposals, reports, budget documents, and verbal and visual
presentations, among others.
- Knowledge of various progressive philanthropic sectors
including racial equity, rights, justice, international affairs,
public health, education, or democracy is desirable.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and prospect research skills.
- Strong interpersonal, mediation, and facilitation skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a
- Knowledge of the Salesforce database is desirable.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines
and manage workflow.
- Support for the mission of American Progress and commitment to
a broad progressive agenda.
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or equivalent experience
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and
benefits package. This position is not represented by a union.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to
apply. The starting salary for the Associate Director position is
$75,000. The starting salary for the Director position is