Chalkbeat, the growing
nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in
America, is expanding into new topic areas, including election
administration and public health. As Chalkbeat expands we are
seeking a major gifts officer to join our team, to help us
achieve our ambitious fundraising and expansion goals. Working
closely with Chalkbeat’s expansion team, the Major Gifts Officer
will oversee the foundation and Major Donor relationships to
support new verticals; Votebeat, Healthbeat and Localbeat.
The right candidate will be smart, organized, and
entrepreneurial, with a track record of fundraising success . A
passion for journalism and an understanding of its importance to
democracy is preferred.
This position will report to the Senior Director of
Development & Donor Relations.
- Develop strategies and move relationships forward with
approximately 100 major donor and family foundations.
- Lead the development of long- and short-term plans to meet
assigned revenue goals for campaign funding priorities.
- Leverage the moves management system for major gift donors and
prospects within the MGO’s portfolio, with the goal of increased
and new giving.
- Work with designated board members to develop personalized
solicitation and stewardship touchpoints.
- Develop and oversee the planning and execution of one-on-one
meetings, dinners and other events with the goal of creating
targeted cultivation and stewardship opportunities.
- Work with the major gifts team to develop innovative
stewardship and communication strategies.
- Assist in the development of research strategies and targeted
areas for research, working closely with the Major Gifts team and
the prospects research.
- Establish strong relationships and lines of communication with
other staff, working together to create accurate and informative
messaging, increased donor awareness of key initiatives, and
engaging donor cultivation events.
What background and skills do you
- At least 5 years of front-line fundraising experience,
preferably managing an active portfolio of individual donors
- Proven track record of securing annual gifts of $10,000 and
multi-year gifts of $50,000 and above.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic thinking skills, with the ability
to exercise creativity and initiative in achieving gift goals.
- Experience working with volunteer boards and committee members
and coordinating volunteer-led fundraising activities
- Experience meeting revenue goals
- Grant writing and editing skills
- Proficient experience with fundraising databases
- Self-starter with the ability to get up to speed quickly and
- Highly motivated, organized, flexible, and proactive
- Proven project management and task management ability in a
- Ability to work in an environment where multitasking is the
norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve.
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written
- Ability to work and collaborate with colleagues within and
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the vision and mission of
- Proficiency with office software, primarily the Google
- Passion for equity and the future of journalism is a
- Bachelor's degree with significant work experience or a
Master's degree in a related field.
Up to 40% travel is required.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a
competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous
benefits package, including a paid winter recess.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering
one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve
schools for all children, especially those who have historically
lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven
journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to
ensuring that education improves. Currently in eight locations and
growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy
and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better
schools. Read more about our mission and values.