Chalkbeat is the
growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of education
in America. As Chalkbeat expands we are seeking a gifts
officer to join our team as the development director for bureaus in
Denver, Memphis and one additional market, working closely with
Chalkbeat’s Deputy Revenue Officer. The successful candidate would
ideally be based in Denver or Memphis but remote work from
elsewhere is possible for the right candidate.
The ideal candidate will be smart, organized, and
entrepreneurial, with a track record of fundraising success. Past
work as a journalist is a plus. A passion for journalism and an
understanding of its importance to democracy is preferred.
This position will report to the Deputy Revenue
- Create and execute fundraising and stewardship strategies for a
portfolio of foundation and major donor supporters in up to three
markets that have local Chalkbeat bureaus.
- Lead the development of long- and short-term plans to meet
assigned revenue goals for campaign funding priorities. A key
objective will be identifying, cultivating and converting new major
donor and foundation prospects.
- Work with designated board members to develop personalized
solicitation and stewardship touchpoints.
- Develop and oversee the planning and execution of one-on-one
meetings, dinners and other events with the goal of creating
targeted cultivation and stewardship opportunities.
- Work with the Chalkbeat development team to develop innovative
stewardship and communication strategies.
- Assist in the development of research strategies and targeted
areas for research, working closely with the development team and
the prospects research.
- Establish strong relationships and lines of communication with
other staff, working together to create accurate and informative
messaging, increased donor awareness of key initiatives, and
engaging donor cultivation events.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Passion for securing the future of journalism and equity in
education for all children
- 2-5 years of front-line fundraising experience, preferably
managing an active portfolio of individual donors and/or
- A proven track record of securing annual gifts of $10,000 and
- Entrepreneurial and strategic thinking skills, with the ability
to exercise creativity and initiative in achieving gift goals
- A track record of meeting revenue goals
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written,
including strong grant writing and editing skills
- Proficient experience with fundraising databases
- A self-starter’s ability to get up to speed quickly and work
- Highly motivated, organized, flexible, and proactive
- Proven project management and task management ability in a
- Ability to work in an environment where multitasking is the
norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve
- Ability to work and collaborate with colleagues within and
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the vision and mission of
- Proficiency with office software, primarily the Google Suite,
- Bachelor's degree with significant work experience or a
Master's degree in a related field
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a
competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous
benefits package, including a paid winter recess.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering
one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve
schools for all children, especially those who have historically
lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven
journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to
ensuring that education improves. Currently in eight locations and
growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy
and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better
schools. Read more about our mission and values.