Kids in Crisis is
Connecticut’s ONLY free, round-the-clock agency providing emergency
shelter, crisis counseling and community educational programs for
children of all ages and families dealing with a wide range of
crises, including domestic violence, mental health and family
conflicts, substance use, economic difficulties and more.
MAJOR GIFTS AND PLANNED GIVING OFFICER
Reporting to the Development Director, the Major Gifts and
Planned Giving Officer will execute the fund development plan,
focusing on securing funds for the organization by attaining and
building relationships with perspective major donors, primarily
individuals and families who have the potential to make six or
seven figure gifts, as well as manage a group of assigned,
qualified donors (caseload) assuring that as many as possible are
retained as continuing donors to the organization and are upgraded
in their giving and involvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Major Gifts (50%)
- Work with Development Director to develop and execute annual
and multi-year development strategies for major gifts.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospective
- Create individual goals for each person based on the donor’s
history of giving and the organization’s knowledge of that donor’s
- Create a plan for each donor that will serve as a foundational
communication and marketing plan for each person on the caseload.
Will faithfully and on a timely basis execute that plan so
individuals on the caseload are retained and upgraded.
- Work with program, finance and the communications departments
to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and
create offers, proposals and asks that will be used with persons on
the caseload to secure gifts.
- Create monthly reports as required by management that
accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
- Perform other major donor activities as may be required.
- Provide campus tours to engage community members and promote
- Participate in community relations activities as directed by
Development Director to promote positive agency relationships.
Planned Giving (50%)
- Design and implement a planned giving program.
- Set goals for planned gifts and regularly report progress to
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit potential planned gift
- Create a planned giving marketing plan to cultivate and steward
ongoing donors and planned giving prospects.
- Create and maintain a planned giving recognition society for
- Create an appropriate stewardship plan to maintain ongoing
relationships with donors who have made planned giving
- Develop appropriate marketing materials to support contact,
marketing, and calls with potential planned gift donors.
- Join and attend professional groups and educational sessions as
needed; keep abreast of current trends.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Public Relations,
Communications, Marketing, or a related field required
- Ten years of professional experience, with at least four years
of experience in an outward-facing role engaging with high-net
- Fundraising experience soliciting and closing six-and
seven-figure gifts, ideally as part of a large, well-established
- Knowledge of/ experience with gift planning vehicles
- Competent in Microsoft Office Suite, web browsers, Adobe
Creative Suite and Salsa (or similar donor database)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and proven ability to work
- Strong emotional intelligence, sensitivity, and listening
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret legal and financial
documents in the English Language.
- Ability to write professional reports and correspondences.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational, time
- Ability to maintain a professional, confidential work
- Eagerness to learn and openness to coaching.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and
with colleagues across an organization.
- Mature judgement and experience working with complex,
- Ability to manage one’s time well, while being part of a highly
productive office environment