RespectAbility’s mission is to fight stigmas and advance
opportunities so people with disabilities can fully participate in
all aspects of community. RespectAbility is a diverse,
disability-led nonprofit that works to create systemic change in
how society views and values people with disabilities, and that
advances policies and practices that empower people with
disabilities to have a better future.
RespectAbility knows that most people with disabilities can and
want to fully participate in – and contribute to – all aspects of
society. RespectAbility shifts narratives and creates progress by
centering people with lived disability experience in leadership
roles, ensuring authentic representation in entertainment and news
media, advancing successful public policy, and pushing for
faith-based and other inclusion. The following are RespectAbility’s
core programmatic areas, which we will deepen and expand over the
life of our new strategic
- Entertainment and News Media– Increase diverse
and authentic representation of disabled people in media so people
with disabilities are seen for what they can do, instead of what
- Leadership– Enable diverse people with
disabilities to participate fully in decision-making.
- Policy– Promote best practices in education,
employment, entrepreneurship, civic engagement, and access.
- Faith Inclusion – Ensure the inclusion of
people with disabilities in faith-based communities.
RespectAbility’s Development Associate will work with the
organization’s CEO, Director of Inclusive Philanthropy, staff and
board to generate contributions from foundations, individuals,
corporations and governmental agencies, as well as maintaining
relationships with current funders.
Founded in 2013, RespectAbility is a small but growing
organization with a goal of substantially expanding our budget so
we can have the impact needed on behalf of people with
- Support existing staff in development operations, including
grant applications and reports, annual fund solicitations, major
gift solicitations, database management, lead generation and
relationship management with existing funders and prospective
- Support the Director of Inclusive Philanthropy and Development
in prospect research and establishing contact with prospective
- Produce donor engagement materials, including special letters,
gift acknowledgments and other communications with donors, in
collaboration with the Communications Department.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration and other
staff to process gifts and pledges, handle data entry and donor
- Work with team to create, cultivate, empower and support our
Board of Directors in development activities. This includes helping
to recruit and cultivate new board members with high integrity,
commitment and fundraising/gift capacity.
- Maintain a development and outreach and reporting program
infrastructure that includes a donor and contact tracking database,
donor communications calendar and evaluation and reporting
- Manage National Leadership Program Fellows who are working with
- Plan and oversee organization of fundraising events including
luncheon presentations and parlor meetings.
- Work closely with grant writing advisors and consultants.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of the
organization, including diversity, equity and opportunity for
people of all backgrounds and abilities.
- Commitment to disability issues as well as a strong interest in
issues of intersectionality and other marginalized
- Ability to work with CEO, board and staff to identify, research
and connect with potential funding sources – especially high net
worth philanthropists and major foundations.
- Talented, detail oriented, highly motivated, and honest
professional with proven fundraising success.
- Experience with data entry and database management
- Excellent writing and communications skills including grammar
- Minimum of two years of development/administration/grant
writing and major gifts outreach experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent internet research skills—not just Google!
- Ability and willingness to work flexibly in a fast-paced,
fast-growing, dynamic nonprofit environment.
- Team player who is upbeat and excited to work in a new, growing
and mission-driven organization.
- Bilingual (Spanish proficiency) a positive.
- Experience with eTapestry or other Blackbaud databases a big
Salary 45-55K plus health insurance, vacation, and other
To apply please send your resume, cover letter and salary
requirements to: FranklinA@RespectAbility.org.
RespectAbility provides equal employment opportunities (EEO)
to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity
or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or
genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, RespectAbility
complies with applicable state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms
and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring,
placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves
of absence, compensation and training.