Consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the
Development Director supports the work of the Y, a leading
nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening the
community through youth development, healthy living, and social
responsibility. In partnership with the CEO, this position is
responsible for the strategic management of all association
fundraising activities. Responsibilities include the setting
of annual and multi-year goals, the development and implementation
of plans to achieve those goals, and the daily driving of the
process that will direct staff and volunteer leaders to activities
that contribute to fundraising success, lead and maximize grant
revenue and ensure ongoing funding sustainability for the
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In
the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities
with purpose and intentionality every day. We are
welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you
can belong and become. We are genuine: we
value you and embrace your individuality. We are
hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a
catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we
support you in your journey to develop your full
potential. We are determined: above all else,
we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger
beginning with you.
- Lead association annual campaign, capital development, and
- Develop and execute a comprehensive fundraising plan, balancing
long-term direction and short-term requirements.
- Act as and supports the CEO as an ambassador for the Y, giving
skilled presentations to various community groups, including
identifying as well as executing these opportunities.
- Research identified prospects to ensure effective cultivation
- Establish a strategic plan for all major gift prospects.
- Develop and control department budgets related to the position
so that resources are devoted to top priorities and strategic
- Hire, train, and supervise staff and volunteers in assigned
areas. Organizes people and activities for efficiencies and
- Develop a strong presence in the community through effective
networking, planning, and execution of communications
- Assist in the development and marketing of mission programs in
- Actively engages the board in challenging conversations and
decision-making to advance the Y’s impact when serving as the
primary staff liaison to various committees on the Board of
Directors. Develops strategies to increase volunteer involvement at
- Establish and achieve monthly contact goals; ensure the same
for the CEO.
- Provide oversight and guidance to any and all special
- Maintain current and accurate files for all donors and
- Upon successful gift, fulfill donor-reporting requirements and
coordinate timely donor recognition.
- Assist in the implementation and augmenting of branch
communications appropriate to donor cultivation and
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with four or more years of
fundraising experience and special events.
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for the mission of the
- Proven experience in cultivating and soliciting
leadership-level gifts to the annual fund.
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Familiarity with the principles of annual campaign
- Understanding of database management, gift processing, and
- Experience in working closely with volunteers and in staffing
- Exceptional writing skills, especially for grant proposals,
reports, and related fundraising materials.
- Strong oral communication, relationship building, and "people
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from groups of managers, volunteers, senior leaders, and