Director of Development
- Geffen Playhouse
- California, United States
- $130,000.00 - $150,000.00
- Closing date
- Sep 17, 2021
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Annual Fund, Capital Campaigns, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Direct Marketing, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Membership, Planned Giving, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Programs, Grant Administration, Grant Making, Administrative, Arts Administration
- Arts, Community Development, Education, Philanthropic Advisors
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position: Director of Development
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
The Geffen Playhouse is a non-profit, professional theater dedicated to enriching the cultural life of Los Angeles through plays and educational programs that inform, entertain and inspire.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion Statement:
In recognition of the national examination of systemic racism and injustices, we at the Geffen Playhouse commit to continued analysis and expansion of our own institutional practices in order to be part of the solution. Our vision for the Geffen is that people of all races, faiths, sexual orientations, abilities, genders and backgrounds find it an easily accessible and highly relevant source of art that reflects the dynamic human experience and galvanizes a more equitable and vibrant community. In adopting this statement, we are amplifying our strategic and ongoing commitment to improving and increasing the cultural diversity, equity and inclusion of our audiences, staff, artists, board and programming.
We are committed to the safety and health of our employees, visitors, and the public we serve. As such, Geffen is proud to have implemented a mandatory vaccination policy, requiring COVID-19 vaccination(s) for all employees, including contracted third-party staff, and new hires. In accordance with our mission, we firmly believe that vaccinating all employees is essential for our community’s safety and health. Should you have any questions regarding this, please speak with your recruiting contact directly. The Company understands and respects that a limited number of candidates may have medical or religious reasons for not receiving the vaccine. As such, we are asking those candidates who wish to request an exemption from being required to be vaccinated, submit a request for their exemption through Human Resources once hired.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director & provides comprehensive strategic direction for the overall development program for the theater. This includes general operating support, and special project support, and will be integral to the theater’s upcoming anniversary celebration and campaign initiatives.
Responsible and accountable for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of an overall development program
- Provides impetus and support to the fundraising efforts of the Board, Executive Director and Artistic Director by executing all annual, sponsorship, capital, endowment, and planned giving programs, as well as fundraising and stewardship events
- Lead initiatives to achieve goals defined in the theater’s strategic plan, and further develop long-range audience development goals and strategies
- Participates in strategic planning, tracks progress of the strategic plan’s development goals and objectives, staffs the Development team, and attends and reports at board meetings
- Demonstrates deep commitment to mission, core values, and our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Ability to work independently; will be self-motivated, deadline-driven multitaskers.
- Provides timely and accurate reports to the Executive Director, Artistic Director and Chief Financial Officer
- Develops & maintains planned giving donors
- Designs and implements strategies to achieve or to exceed annual fundraising goals
- Supervises the application, reporting and tracking processes for all grants
- Ensures proper record-keeping and stewardship of all gifts from individuals and institutions
- Develops and monitors budgets for all events and campaigns
- Works with Executive Director and CFO on future season budget goals and expectations
- Maintains a master calendar of fundraising events and campaigns
Skill and Background
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration, non-profit management, communication, or related field.
- Minimum seven to ten years of progressive development experience.
- Proven track record of success at meeting and exceeding revenue goals.
- Proven successful interactions with Boards and a diverse array of community stakeholders.
- Excellent computer/technology skills, especially in Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Audience View a plus.
- Must have an entrepreneurial attitude with ability to be a self-starter. Must have a spirit of curiosity and tenacity to “get the job done”.
- Must have excellent communication & presentation skills with ability to interface with people at all levels.
- In addition to the duties listed above, the theater expects the following of each employee: adhere to theater’s policies and procedures; work in a safe manner; perform duties as workload necessitates; maintain a positive and
- respectful attitude; communicate regularly with Executive Director about department issues; demonstrate efficient time management and prioritize workload; demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meet department productivity standards; participate in the theater’s events as needed or required; and complete other duties as assigned.
The Geffen Playhouse aims to build a diverse and inclusive workplace, in which we strongly encourage non-conforming and historically excluded individuals to apply for any and all available positions.
To apply, please submit a resume with references in .pdf format at www.geffenplayhouse.org/apply.
No phone calls, please.
The Geffen Playhouse, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Geffen Playhouse provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Geffen Playhouse complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Geffen Playhouse expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Geffen Playhouse’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us via telephone at 310-208-6500 x148.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert