UltraViolet is hiring a Vice President of Campaigns and
Communications (VPCC) to lead our mediagenic, creative campaigns to
end structural racism and sexism. Rooted in antiracist feminism and
intersectional strategies, the VPCC will help UltraViolet build
durable power for the gender justice movement.
The VPCC is a member of the organization's executive leadership
team, working closely with the Executive Director, the VP of
Innovation and Growth, and VP of Organizational Advancement, and is
responsible for driving campaigns work at UltraViolet.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Communications Director, Campaign Directors
Since 2012, UltraViolet has been the premier national
organization advocating for gender justice issues using creative,
strategic campaigning and digital-first organizing. UltraViolet
drives feminist cultural and political change by exposing the white
supremacist patriarchy and creating the conditions for a more just
and equitable world for all.
Together with our more than 1.2 million members, we have taken
over 17 million actions driving feminist cultural and political
change. UltraViolet members have taken down major misogynists from
Bill O'Reilly and Harvey Weinstein to Roger Ailes and Rick Ross,
led the fight nationwide to combat racist and sexist disinformation
during the 2020 election, campaigned for justice for women of color
murdered by law enforcement, forced Google to stop promoting
harmful and deceptive anti-abortion clinics, and more.
We work across a broad spectrum of interconnected issues that
impact women's lives, including violence against women,
disinformation, health care, economic security, reproductive
rights, and racial justice. In all of our work, we center frontline
communities disparately impacted by sexist policies and practices,
especially Black women, Indigenous women, women of color, people
with disabilities, low-income women, immigrants, survivors, and
If fighting for a world beyond white supremacist patriarchy--a
world where all people can thrive with freedom and dignity--ignites
your passion, then UltraViolet is the organization for
UltraViolet is a multiracial organization of women, Black,
Indigenous, and people of color, and LGBTQ+ folks. Sexism
disparately impacts us, and we strongly encourage people from these
and other impacted communities to apply.
UltraViolet’s Vice President of Campaigns and Communications
(VPCC) is a member of the organization’s executive leadership team
and oversees the following categories of work:
Campaigning and Communications
- Lead the vision for campaigns and communications strategies to
advance our ambitious long-term and rapid-response campaign
- Oversee communications and campaigns staff running high-impact
campaigns, ensuring progress towards long-term goals on flagship
campaigns and short-term goals in UV’s rapid response issue
- Execute special projects and campaigns when necessary or urgent
and skillfully delegate and foster campaign directors’ ownership of
their campaign plans.
- Understand and advise on the successful integration between
communications and campaigns strategies and work product.
- Ensure UltraViolet’s public-facing brand and message
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with current and
potential allies and partners.
- Develop and implement strategies to demonstrate UltraViolet’s
leadership and role in movement spaces and identify growth
opportunities for UltraViolet in movement spaces.
Management and Organizational Leadership
- Build, lead, and mentor a team of communications and campaigns
professionals with a focus on preventing burnout and providing
- Develop and manage effective systems and tools to track
progress and demonstrate impact across campaigns and
- Ensure the campaigns and communications teams overall, and
staff individually, have clear goals at all times; lead the
evaluation processes for team members.
- Serve as part of UltraViolet’s executive leadership team,
ensuring the organization is meeting its goals and living up to its
mission, vision, and values.
- Contribute to the growth and development of UV’s theory of
change and organizational priorities, bringing innovative and
informed ideas to the executive team.
- Engage and demonstrate leadership in all UltraViolet
organizational requirements and priorities, including those related
to administration, staff culture, and human resources.
These are the required skills for this position:
- 10 or more years of experience working in digital campaigning,
organizing, communications, or advocacy for a progressive
nonprofit, at least three at a level of leadership where
you participated in senior executive tasks like budgeting and
- At least five years experience hiring and managing full-time
staff and managing culturally inclusive, diverse, engaged
- Extensive experience with one or more of our core areas of
work: corporate accountability, survivor justice and ending
violence against women, reproductive rights, worker rights, racial
justice, and/or sexist and racist disinformation.
- Expertise with communications and media strategies, and a
proven track record of attracting earned media.
- Expertise running scaled digital campaigns from a strategic
- Proven experience overseeing and driving digital campaigns,
including goal setting, insightful targeting, power mapping and
insightful targeting, pivoting at strategic inflection points, and
campaign plan writing and evaluation.
- Demonstrated commitment to antiracist feminism and to
UltraViolet's mission to dismantle the white supremacist
- Knowledge and experience advocating for political and cultural
issues that impact or are impacted by gender inequity in a
fast-paced, rapid-response, media-driven environment.
We're hoping that you'll bring one or two (or more) of these
- Experience working for a nonprofit advocacy organization that
operates a PAC.
- Experience working with ActionKit.
- Experience with Capitol legislative strategy and White House
- Experience leading in feminist and gender justice coalition
- Experience with and understanding of cultural organizing,
electoral politics, and/or rapid-response organizing.
- Experience leading effectively during times of organizational
growth and transition.
You will thrive in this role if you're someone who:
- Thrives while working remotely, since we are an all-remote
- Is results-oriented–you’re always moving our campaigns and our
work towards our annual goals, and overall mission and vision.
- Enjoys mentoring and delegation, coaching staff to success, and
celebrating the entire team.
- Is an explicit, careful communicator who always leads by
- Is flexible and able to pivot quickly in a rapidly changing
environment, identifying new and impactful ways for us to do our
work and fulfill our mission.
- Is a smart, skilled, and experienced leader, supervisor, and
decision-maker who thrives in a low-ego, collaborative environment
that prioritizes work/life balance.
- Is an excellent project manager and can manage a project
seamlessly from start to finish.
Perks of working for UltraViolet:
- Full health, dental, and vision benefits for employees, and
generous coverage for your family
- Four to six weeks of vacation and 14 paid holidays
- 401(k) with a 5% employer contribution
- Sixteen weeks of parental leave, plus support for child care
for work-related events and travel
- A team with a top-notch GIF game, and #pets and #joy Slack
channels, that knows how to have fun while furthering our
- The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $150,000, plus
a home office stipend based on the cost of living in your
UltraViolet is an equal employment opportunity employer and does
not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race,
color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status,
disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or
gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual,
or membership in any other class protected by applicable law.
UltraViolet hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their
qualifications for the job to be filled. We strongly encourage
diverse applicants to apply.