Manager of Grant Writing and Proposal Development Job
DEPARTMENT: Business Development and
REPORTS TO: Director, Grants and
RESPONSIBILITIES: This position is part of the
Business Development Team, headed by the Vice President of Business
Development and Membership and the Director of Grants and
Contracts. The Manager, Grant Writing and Proposal Development,
will work with the Development Team and other departments and, as
part of a team, will prepare multi-departmental proposals for
Federal Agencies, Foundations and Corporation Partnerships.
This person is fantastic with writing, systems, research, process,
procedure and tools. Additionally, this position will work with the
Business Development Team to conduct industry and funding research
to identify trends and determine new opportunities for CADCA.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Working with the Director of Grants and Contracts and other
department VPs to prepare proposals for federal agencies,
foundations, and corporate partnerships, by determining concept,
gathering and formatting information based on the organization’s
vision and capacities to successfully complete a proposed
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts, and other
department VPs to obtain approvals to move forward on proposals to
be submitted and writes all draft versions.
- Preparing project reports by assembling necessary qualitative
and quantitative data to document that project objectives are being
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to determine
proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and
needs, studying requests for proposal (RFPs), and attending
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to create and
maintain a calendar with priorities and target dates for
information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal
to meet proposal deadlines.
- Entering and monitoring tracking data.
- Conducting research on industry and funding trends.
Researching, identifying and presenting new grant opportunities and
updates pipeline of grants on a regular basis.
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to coordinate
requirements with contributors and contributes proposal status
information to review meetings.
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to gather
proposal and project report information by identifying sources of
information; coordinating submissions and collections; and
identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals.
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to develop
proposals and project reports by assembling information including
project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation,
methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance and
- Writing, revising and editing drafts including executive
summaries, conclusions and organization credentials.
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to strategize
with department VPs to develop organizational value propositions
specific to each department and the organization.
- Preparing presentations by evaluating text, graphics, and
- Maintaining quality results by using templates; following
proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and
tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to obtain
approvals by reviewing proposal with key providers and project
- Working with Director of Grants and Contracts to improve
proposal/report-writing results by evaluating and re-designing
processes; approach; coordination; and boilerplate.
- Updating job knowledge by participating in educational
- Accomplishing organization goals by accepting ownership for
accomplishing new and different requests and exploring
opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Prospect for new donors as directed using prospect research
software, public filings, and internal data
- Gather, track, and evaluate campaign metrics data to present
compelling narratives of our impact to funders and other
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities
required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to
foundation and corporate sources.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to
evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants along with
the BD team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Federal Programs and application guidelines
- Proficient in Microsoft and Adobe software suites and other
required software programs
- Presentation skills
- Prospect research
- Graphic design skills
- Technical documentation
- Layout skills
- Problem solving
- Process improvement
- Strategic planning
- Market knowledge
- Self-motivated, proactive and dependable
- Possess a high degree of professionalism
- Organized and enjoys creating systems to manage projects
- Able to handle sensitive information and documents with
- Detail-oriented and systems driven-a strong
background in managing and creating highly detailed, organized
systems across multiple projects and/or grants.
- Able to monitor and meet income goals.
Three (3) writing samples, one of which must illustrate the
ability to convey complex concepts clearly and effectively, must be
submitted with credentials. We strongly prefer that at least
one writing sample be related to a funding proposal or report.
Please redact any proprietary, confidential and/or sensitive
information from writing samples.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in English, Technical Writing, Journalism,
Media or related field required.
Must have 5 years of experience and proven track record in grant
writing, technical writing, prospect research or proposal
development. Experience with domestic federal agencies preferred.
Must have proven success in a fast-paced professional
setting. Specifically, this staff is responsible for writing
proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted
projects and for submitting timely and accurate reports for all
existing grant funded projects. Working knowledge of issues
surrounding substance misuse prevention, alcohol, tobacco and other
substance use and misuse issues is beneficial but not required.
WORK HOURS & LOCATION: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30
p.m., Alexandria, VA
To Apply: Qualified applicants should
send their resume, cover letter and writing samples to Jennifer
Sinfelt (email@example.com) with MANAGER GRANT WRITING in the