Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations
Sarah Lawrence College seeks a Director of Corporate and Foundation
Relations. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of
Philanthropy, the successful candidate will work in partnership
with the AVP to oversee grant-related fundraising and stewardship
activity for private foundations, government entities and corporate
funders, in support of both institutional priorities and faculty
sponsored research. As an integral member of the Advancement team
within the Major Gifts Unit, the successful candidate will be
responsible for raising expendable and endowment funds for
operating, capital, programmatic and research priorities, to meet
the needs of the College.
Founded in 1926, Sarah Lawrence is a coeducational, residential
liberal arts college situated on a wooded campus just north of New
York City in Bronxville, NY. The College is internationally
renowned for its combination of strength in artistic creation, high
expectations for written expression, and a uniquely rigorous
academic program. Wide ranging and intentionally interdisciplinary,
the academic program is built around a pedagogy of close
collaboration between faculty and students in a process of directed
exploration made possible by a student-faculty ratio of
- Research and monitor government, foundation and corporate
funding opportunities and disseminate that information, campus
- Ensure effective and timely communication of proposal
requirements, eligibility, restrictions, deadlines and other
pertinent proposal/grant information with appropriate Sarah
Lawrence College (SLC) staff, faculty and/or
- Produce compelling top-level funding proposals that link funder
priorities with SLC goals and initiatives. Ensure that proposal
materials meet funder criteria, are persuasive, accurate, well
targeted and meet funder deadlines.
- Prepare grant budgets and budget justifications. Monitor grant
expenditures in conjunction with the Office of Finance and
appropriate staff, faculty or administration.
- Prepare professional letters of inquiry to potential funding
sources and collaborating sources, and letters of
support/commitment for grant applications.
- Ensure institutional compliance with federal, state, agency and
other applicable governing regulations, policies and procedures
concerning sponsored and non-sponsored research.
- Formulate, implement, and recommend short-term and multi-year
fundraising plans for foundation, government, and corporate
sources. Maintain and enhance a seven figure portfolio.
- Responsible for the development of long term relationships with
grantors and potential grantors.
- Minimum five-seven (5-7) years of successful corporate,
foundation and government relations experience.
- Entrepreneurial approach, with a proven track record of
securing increased and new institutional grants of $100,000 or
- Demonstrated knowledge of foundation and corporate funding
communities, and success in building long-term relationships that
lead to larger grants.
- Experience with successfully securing and stewarding state and
federal government grants.
- Demonstrated success identifying and qualifying new
- Excellent verbal and written skills, with a demonstrated
ability to write compelling and strategic letters of inquiry,
funding proposals, and stewardship reports.
- Excellent numeracy skills, with a demonstrated ability to
create budgets and financial reports.
- Ability to work in partnership with a wide range of
constituents, including foundation representatives, government
officials, faculty members, senior-level volunteers, colleagues,
senior administrators and students.
- Ability to travel periodically (including staffing the
President) with occasional evening and weekend work
- Bachelor's degree required.
To apply, visit: https://slc.peopleadmin.com/postings/1496
Sarah Lawrence has as one of its goals the recruitment and
retention of a racially and culturally diverse administration,
staff, and faculty. To that end, every job opening is seen as an
opportunity to increase diversity and every effort will be made to
expand the applicant pool in accordance with these goals. For
information on Sarah Lawrence College, our curriculum, teaching
methods, and philosophy of education, please visit our web site at