Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA)
is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta
Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As
a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM and
WPBA-TV30. For more information on the broadcast service,
programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Job Title: Director of Major and Planned
The Director of Major and Planned Gifts leads development PBA’s
effort to cultivate and secure Major Gifts and Planned Gifts.
This is a strategically important position for the organization
which includes management and oversight of the Cornerstone Society,
managing Cornerstone campaigns to support pledge drives, and
systematically increasing the number of transformational gifts
to the organization to support the PBA strategic plan. This
position is also responsible for Planned Giving and helping to
process bequests to the organization. In the current fiscal
year, PBA will be building out a more structured and formalized
Planned Giving program, which will be fully integrated with Major
Gifts. This position also oversees Major Gifts and Planned Giving
pipeline development through cultivation of mid-level membership
donors. This position supervises one fundraising manager.
The successful candidate will have a proven fundraising track
record, a range of skill sets including effective donor cultivation
and networking, oral and written communications, knowledge of donor
research and CRM systems, generous cross-team collaboration, board
engagement, and presentation development and delivery. Experience
in Planned Giving or Planned-Giving adjacent fundraising is highly
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit donors and prospects with a
focus on increasing the number of annual Major Gifts, the average
size of Major Gifts, and the number of donations above $5,000.
Execute strategy to cultivate highest potential donors and report
out regularly on results.
- Engage in personal networking and leverage the capacity of
other team members, senior management and the board of directors to
make contacts and engage, secure and retain donors.
- Execute strong stewardship practices including generating
regular updates, personalized communications, and creating
“insider” opportunities with the station for donors.
- Help to organize events with the PBA Community events team,
special events with community partners, and board-hosted events for
Major and Planned Giving donors.
- Manage, publicize, and continue to maximize the value
proposition of Cornerstone membership and other Major Gifts
benefits (e.g. access to ticketed events). Obtain donor feedback
- Create a named Planned Giving Society and design benefits,
activities, recognition, and publicity for this program.
- Manage the relationship with the PBA wealth screen vendor,
share and interpret this data for the fundraising team, and
regularly analyze the overall donor file to identify top priority
prospects for cultivation.
- Oversee mid-level giving manager strategies to cultivate the
mid-level member segment and devise and execute strategies to
continuously move donors toward Major Gifts giving.
- Provide prospect list, outreach materials, and manage
communications for two campaigns per year to generate Major Gift
contributions to matching funds for on-air membership drives.
- Devise messaging and draft/contribute to communications (on air
scripts and messages, email, direct marketing, social media, etc.)
targeted to Major Gifts and Planned Gifts prospects. Secure
testimonials from Major and Planned Gift donors for use in public
- Serve as a leader on the fundraising team, helping to lead
team-wide meetings, providing editing support or other constructive
feedback to team members, devising and executing annual
implementation plans, analyzing trends and best practices and
generally supporting the team fundraising effort
- Coordinate with the finance team and, as appropriate, the
station attorney or outside professionals to process bequests or to
provide information and support for Planned Gift donors to PBA and
- Generate a board survey twice per year of contacts with Major
and Planned Giving Donors or prospects and devise strategies to
leverage this information in fundraising plans.
- Monitor public media giving trends and attend webinars,
educational sessions on fundraising, or conferences to identify
effective new fundraising approaches and share learning with
- Work in close partnership with the SVP-Fundraising, the CEO,
and others on relationship cultivation, events, and development and
execution of campaigns to maximize engagement opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree or additional
fundraising training desirable.
- 5 years fundraising and donor cultivation experience with
proven results with at least 2 years Major Gifts experience and
ideally also Planned Giving experience.
- Ability to devise and execute strategies and team plans with
minimal oversight and to drive execution with team peers, board
members, and supporters of PBA.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (with peers and
donors) are a must. Direct experience engaging boards of directors
- Must have excellent time management skills and the ability to
produce products from start to finish effectively under pressure
and meet deadlines.
- Experience with donor research and CRM systems and show
experience/aptitude to work with complex operational systems.
- Candidate must be self-motivated and demonstrate initiative and
be a strong team player.
- Experience in public media fundraising highly desirable.
- Experience developing and executing email marketing, generating
social media, designing campaigns and digital or creative skills
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The
physical demands and work environment described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may
need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a
level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching
above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up
to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the
workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part
ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office
equipment as found in a typical office environment. Position, at
least initially, will be located off-site in accordance with
station policy on off-site work for most staff in response to
coronavirus. Candidates must be willing and able to work from home
but provide their own transportation to the station once off-site
work conditions are lifted. Occasional evening and weekend
work may be required to support departmental events.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org