POSITION TITLE: Director of Major Gifts and
Strategic Partnerships – Southern California
REPORTS TO: Director of Development, Los Angeles
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervise other development
professionals and support staff
LOCATION: Los Angeles, CA
GRADE: H, exempt, PSA-eligible
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League)
is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913
in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry,
its essential mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to
stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and
fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of
hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when
acts of antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism,
delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s
ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers
from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an
accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and
nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015.
He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency.
Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading
its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and
pioneering new horizons.
The Director of Strategic Partnerships for Southern California,
develop strategies and implement activities to identify, personally
cultivate and personally solicit strategic philanthropic
engagement, major gifts and planned gifts throughout the Southern
California’s business and philanthropic communities.
- Identify and cultivate strategic philanthropic partnerships in
the greater Los Angeles business community, including arts
and entertainment, real estate, finance, technology, and
- Identify and cultivate major gift and planned giving
donors throughout the greater Los Angeles region, including
participating in strategic planning with senior staff.
- Develop partnership and major gifts proposals for the greater
Los Angeles region by targeting donors, business and
philanthropists based on potential for giving and substantive
- Work with existing philanthropic and business partners in the
greater Los Angeles region to identify and cultivate new
- Select and help to develop written materials on the agency and
its mission for prospective partners and donors.
- Work closely with key thought leaders,
existing partners and top donors to identify new
opportunities for strategic philanthropic partnerships.
- Assist development staff with major Los Angeles-area events,
including ArtWorks, Entertainment, Sports and Media Event, and
Annual Gala by identifying and obtaining key sponsorships,
identifying potential honorees, and creating opportunities for
connections with key industries.
- Cultivate relationships with major donors by networking,
connecting them with the cause through volunteer
- Schedule individual and social opportunities and coordinate
special events and donor recognition events.
- Work with the grants writer to initiate and write proposals
soliciting major gifts from family foundations and
- Assist as part of a team of regional development and
programmatic staff on development and regional operations
- Identify and cultivate strategic philanthropic partnerships,
major gift and planned giving donors in Riverside,
San Bernardino and Kern counties.
- In coordination with regional directors and development team
members, assist the Santa Barbara and Orange County/Long Beach
regions in identifying and cultivating strategic philanthropic
partnerships, major gift and planned giving donors.
- Any other duties deemed important for this
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship
cultivation skills required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the
ability to effectively present information to donors, board
members, and staff is required.
- Excellent public speaking skills essential.
- Experience working with a diverse team and delivering
results is required.
- Sound judgment and sensitivity to highly confidential
information is essential.
- Technical competence required. Working familiarity and comfort
in database systems, reporting, and analysis essential. Reasonable
level of experience using Microsoft Office software, including
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and comfort learning and utilizing new
technology is absolutely essential.
- Creativity, flexibility, and the ability to work with some
ambiguity is essential.
- Comfort working with colleagues remotely across the
country is essential.
- 8-10 years of experience required with at least 5 in
a direct fundraising and relationship building
- Personal experience directly soliciting and obtaining
six and seven figure gifts needed.
- Experience working in the entertainment industry
- Experience working with high tech, fashion, art, law, and
financial industry leaders a plus.
- Experience working with, and detailed knowledge of, the Los
Angeles philanthropic and business communities desired.
- A high level of knowledge and understanding of fundraising best
practices and the philanthropic landscape.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends when
- Ability to travel within Southern California as needed for
donor meetings and events essential.
The information in this job description indicates the
general nature and level of work expected of employees in this
classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted
as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to
this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment
shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the
basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex,
sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or
mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in
violation of any applicable Federal, state or local