About the Waterfront Alliance
The Waterfront Alliance is a civic organization that brings
together a diverse coalition of more than 1,100 Alliance Partners
with ties to the New York–New Jersey waterways. Founded in 2007,
our mission is to inspire and effect resilient, revitalized, and
accessible coastlines for all communities. Key programs and
advocacy areas include climate resilience, public access to the
waterfront, the working waterfront, and climate education.
About the Position
Waterfront Alliance seeks a Director of Development to lead and
executive a comprehensive fundraising strategy in collaboration
with the President and CEO. The Director of Development position is
an outstanding opportunity to combine one’s expertise and track
record in fundraising with a personal desire to play a leadership
role in a strong organization influencing climate change policy,
coastal policy, urban planning and policy, and environmental
education at a regional scale.
As a member of the leadership team reporting directly to the
President and CEO, the Director of Development will work closely
with the CEO to create an overall development strategy and annual
plans that grow and diversify financial support for Waterfront
Alliance’s approximately $1.7 million in annual revenues.
Responsibilities include designing and implementing the
organization’s development strategy and annual plans; managing and
overseeing fundraising operations, including consultants and a
small development team while committing to work life balance and
team building; collaborating extensively with the Senior Events
Manager to raise significant funds from two major fundraising
events; leading, overseeing, and supporting foundation fundraising;
building substantial individual, mid-level, and major donor
programs over the coming years; in collaboration with board and
CEO, overseeing and executing a five-year capital campaign; and
projecting enthusiasm, excellence in development, and fundraising
leadership to supporters, board members, and partners.
Waterfront Alliance’s fundraising model involves highly
collaborative work across departments and positions, engages with
multiple relationships outside the organization, and is focused on
cultivating enduring, long term relationships. The position is
supported by a development department budget necessary to put into
place the fundraising infrastructure for future growth.
Classification: Fulltime, exempt
Salary and Benefits: Salary is
$80,000–$115,000. Waterfront Alliance offers a comprehensive
benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and
vision insurances; life insurance; 401K retirement plan with
employer match; commuter and FSA benefits, paid time off,
professional development opportunities, and more.
Location: New York, NY, with a generous
Reports to: President and CEO
- Develop annual development plans in collaboration with CEO and
development team with fundraising goals and benchmarks.
- Strengthen, build, and execute direct mail and digital
fundraising plans, mid-level donor program and major gifts program
in collaboration with CEO.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, and solicit gifts from
individuals, mid-level donors, major donors, corporations, and
- With board of directors, CEO, and consultants, oversee and
execute five-year capital campaign.
- Work in strong collaboration with Senior Events Manager and
other team members to meet event fundraising goals and provide
support when necessary.
- Collaborate with development team and CEO, with input from VP
of Programs and COO, for the execution of a foundations fundraising
program and strategy, including overseeing foundation prospecting
and final proposal execution.
- Oversee, troubleshoot, lead, and manage development operations
with a strong commitment to positive and collaborative teamwork,
progressive leadership, work life balance, and trust among all
- Collaborate with communications team, operations team, and CEO
to develop donor communications pieces, including annual report,
website content, web donation platform, event materials, pitch
decks, major donor pieces, and other relevant content and
- Manage multiple consultant relationships, secure new
consultants, and issue RFPs for future contracts as needed.
- Strategize, develop, and execute major donor program.
- Ensure implementation of the overall development calendar.
- Create and execute data-driven processes by overseeing usage of
Salesforce to track cultivations, touch points, asks, event
attendance, donations, receivables, and relationships.
- Oversee, cultivate, execute, and manage the organization’s
extensive network of corporate sponsorships.
- Support and provide assistance where needed on growing earned
income through a range of opportunities including the WEDG
Professionals and WEDG Verification program.
- Prepare government (city, state, and federal) grant
applications in collaboration with the VP of Programs and COO.
- Report to staff regularly on fundraising successes priorities,
needs, and opportunities during weekly all-staff meetings.
- Support CEO’s work with Board Development Committee and all
Board members to provide regular updates on all fundraising
activities, set fundraising priorities, and engage them in
identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding top-tier
- Cultivate and steward when necessary in-kind donations.
- Represent Waterfront Alliance externally with a variety of
Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes
- 8+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience and a quantifiable
track record of meeting fundraising goals, and proven successful
development and execution of comprehensive fundraising
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience to design and
build successful fundraising strategies for the Waterfront
- Training or experience in Veritas fundraising strategies or
similar a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with Salesforce or another similar
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Passion for the Waterfront Alliance mission.
- Ability to work with multiple consultants, manage and solicit
- Expertise in event-related fundraising, including corporate
- Excellent project management, collaboration, and organizational
skills including a can-do attitude that brings teams together in
- Experience managing multiple projects, stakeholders, and
- Experience building new donor programs while maintaining
- Experience preparing applications for government grants (city,
state, and federal)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter that
illustrates qualifications relevant to this role, resume, and short
writing sample (no more than three pages) as a single
PDF to email@example.com.
The subject should indicate “Director of Development.” Applicants
must be legally authorized to work fulltime in the U.S. and should
not require employment sponsorship now or in the future. Only
complete applications will be considered. Position open until
filled. No phone calls please.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Waterfront Alliance
encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age,
gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status,
physical ability or any other legally protected basis.